1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Baseball HOF ballot

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 30, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I left out Morris, Trammell, McGwire, Palmeiro, McGriff, and Lee Smith. A lot of people think those guys should be in. I disagree.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

So does Tom Emanski

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And they are idiots. There isn't even any real evidence against Bagwell. Watch some of these fuckers leave him out, then vote for Bonds because "He was going to be a Hall of Famer anyway." Morons.

4. outofplace

I'm not sure which is more idiotic, the fact that you have Bernie Williams as a Hall of Famer or your claim that Raines was better than Rickey Henderson.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Tim Raines had a better batting average than Henderson and didn't suck the last 10 years he was in the league. He was also better at his peak. (Henderson got caught 42 times during the year he set the stolen base record, Raines was stealing bases at an almost 90% success rate in the 80s and hitting over .300 most years).

6. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I agree with you on this.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Bagwell, Larkin and Raines. And that's it.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'd say yes on Bagwell and Raines. I thought Raines dominated his peers with a rare combination of speed, power and hitting prowess.

I've never been a Larkin fan because (1) he played on turf; (2) was often injured and (3) never seemed like the/one of the dominant players of the year. Yes he won in '90 and got an MVP but not many candidates for the MVP then. He had a nice combination of solid glove and hitting but unfortunately he had injuries.

I admired Trammell. Got to remember he was a .300 hitter with power when the norm was the .220/.290/.340 #8 SS was the norm.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Trammell is far more deserving than Larkin.

10. outofplace

I'd show your flawed argument more respect if you did't have such a history of throwing ridiculous crap out on this site just hoping for a reaction. And you are using the same approach of cherry-picking statistics you always use. Do better.

Rickey Henderson should have been a unanimous selection the first year he was eligible. The only reason he wasn't is the idiots who refuse to vote for anybody the first year for fear that person would get in unanimously.

Raines should get in, but he's far closer to the borderline.

Henderson is major league baseball's all-time leader in runs scored and stolen bases. He led his league in stolen bases 12 times, the last at age 40, and went over 100 in a season four times. He led the league in runs scored five times and OPS once. That was 1990 when he won his MVP.

Raines led his league in stolen bases four times, never over 100, and runs scored twice. He never won an MVP award.

Henderson also hit over 20 home runs four times, with career-highs of 28 twice, and finished with 297 homers. Raines never hit 20 home runs in a season and had 170 for his career.

All those "crappy" years at the end did drop his batting average to .279, but he still had a .401 on-base percentage. Despite the higher career average, Raines actually had a lower on-base percentage at .385.

Raines was amazing, but Henderson was clearly better.

11. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

There's a reason that Trammell has never topped 24 percent in his 10 years on the ballot. He played in 113 more MLB games than Larkin, but Larkin equals or bests him in many key offensive counting categories (R, 2B, HR, SB). He also has a superior BA, OBP, SLG and OPS. Defensively, both were very solid shortstops. You can make a case for Trammell, but you can make a better case for Larkin.

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OOP: Henderson and Raines were both great. Raines is just more of the style of player I prefer. I look at his numbers and I think those are the type of stats Jeter would have put up if he was 15 years younger and played in the 80's.

I think Raines might have been a little overlooked in his heyday playing in Montreal. Rickey spent his prime years in NY, Oakland in the late 80s, then Toronto in '93.

I also look at the contrast between them in the late 90s: Raines was a leader and valuable part of the Yankee dynasty...Rickey was all about Rickey and playing cards in the clubhouse during the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted