1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Army-Navy game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wicked, Dec 8, 2012.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Always my favorite college game of the year, and yeah, my goal is to attend one someday. Wonder if they'll every have one out west again? (I believe they did ONCE).

Anyway, tough, tough ending for Steelman. He's only run that option play more than 1,000 times. But that's football.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They played one at the Rose Bowl in 1983, and had one in Chicago in 1926, as per wikipedia. Their games until 2017 will be held at FedEx once, in Baltimore twice and Philly the rest of the time.

The one year at the Rose Bowl, according to wikipedia, the city of Pasadena paid the travel expenses for nearly 10,000 people from both schools to come to the game. Hard to believe that would happen today, given California's financial issues.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I covered the one at the Rose Bowl. Napolean McCallum was the big star for Navy and the game was a blowout. Lasting memory: 4 sailors carrying a fifth sailor out of a bathroom. He was too drunk to walk and had barf all over his uniform.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Surprised the Jerry Dome hasn't bid eleventy billion dollars to host this yet. And it would be good to rotate it outside the I-95 corridor occasionally. Or even Yankee Stadium.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

one team is in lower NY State on the west bank of the Hudson River and the other is 262 miles south on the West Bank of the Upper Chesapeake Bay in Maryland.

Nothing should be done to this game that is inconvenient for the respective student bodies who travel en mass to the game.

And keep the game out of FedEx

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with not wanting to inconvenience the student bodies, this is really a game that should be taken around the country given that these are essentially America's schools and teams.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's mostly been held in the northeast - Philadelphia more specifically. In a college football world where tradition is used as toilet paper I am fine with it staying in the Northeast. Last thing I wanna' see is Army-Navy in a half-full Qwest Field or some shit.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I guess ... if you like the crap that Oregon and Maryland wear, but for me, not so much.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Amen. Sweeping changes in this tradition would only serve to diminish its special nature.

10. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

As a Navy vet, I have seen and participated in this activity many times! ;D

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

To both of you: As big a spectacle as this game is, do you really think it wouldn't sell out?

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

In certain parts of the country, no, I don't believe it would. And even it did, so what? You live in Mississippi and wanna' come to a game? Two words: Stubhub and Hotwire. This game is played where it is for easy access for the students of both schools. I'm far from the biggest pro-military dickbeater, but I like that this tradition stays here, where's its always been. New Orleans, LA, Miami, Texas and Atlanta already get college and pro championships. Let the northeast have this.

Draft saved Draft deleted