1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Academy Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Just noticed that "Man or Muppet" from "The Muppets" received a Best Song nod. I can't tell you how pleased this makes me, especially since I assume we'll get a performance by Jason Segal at the show.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

I think "50/50" could have been put in adapted screenplay, though. I did at the Globes.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I meant in any category. I posted a list earlier of well-reviewed films that seemed like they had a shot at some Oscar nods. That was one of them.

4. Dick Whitman

Someone on Slate wrote - and I agree - that the show is going to be insufferable with "Hugo" and "The Artist" giving them full-blown license to wax poetic all night long about their craft.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

I haven't read the book, so I can't answer.

Also, mutants in the Cuban Missile Crisis are not the same as a young boy running the streets of NYC.

Also, the race to the moon and the JFK stuff from Transformers 3... well, please don't bring up anything from that movie. Ha ha.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jeez, I hope you're right. You join multiple other acquaintances whose opinions I respect who had nothing but kind words for it. And I love Scorsese beyond reason.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Movies about movies. I remain innately-prejudiced in their favor, and will continue to lean that way, for the forseeable.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

That was shit to be honest. Just some random electronic drone for the entire film. It deserved much better.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My biggest peeve about the expanded list is that it takes away from the truly deserving ones. If some year we only get three or four nominees, I'll have to amend my take, but I seriously doubt that will ever happen.

They changed the 10-movie format to a format that can include as many as 10 to appease the masses who felt 10 was too many, but really, is nine any better?

When it was only five films, there were still usually only two or three that had a legitimate shot.

I'd rather the show be able to devote a little more time and energy into celebrating the five truly wonderful films that actually deserve a nomination rather than spending even a second on a movie that truly has zero chance to win just so that they can put "Academy Award Nominee" on the DVD label.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That post was deserving of an Academy Award!

Oh, wait. It's already been nominated. Never mind.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To go over the background, the Best Picture field was expanded in the hopes of reversing the unending decline in Oscar television ratings, by allowing crap pictures with good box office to get nominations, hopefully drawing in the morons who liked those turkeys in the first place. As with the John Franco-Anne Hathaway pairing, results have been less than hoped.

12. Dick Whitman

It's my feeling that the "real" Best Picture nominees are to be found under the "Best Director" nominations.

Draft saved Draft deleted