1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Academy Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Hugo is animated, right? How does it not get a best animated film nod?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think it's that. I thought it was a pretty cool premise for a plot in the book, and mostly he pulled it off, with some moments that were a little too on-the-nose for me and some literary pretentions that I don't think he nailed like he wanted to.

The main criticisms I see of the film are that it is essentially exploitative. Just overly sentimental, button-pushing tripe. Also, people remain very, very protective of 9/11.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, a kid walking alone all over NYC, looking for people with the surname of Black. Man, every sitcom rehashes that cliche at some point.

4. Dick Whitman

It's supposed to be fantastical, though. This is like ripping "Lord of the Rings" because there is no real Mordor.

5. NDub

NDub Guest

Fuck Extremely Exploitative and Incredibly Not-Believable.

Here's a complete list of all awards - makeup, scores, etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-list-of-84th-annual-academy-award-nominations/2012/01/24/gIQAU3nUNQ_story.html

No Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for "The Girl..."

I'm pissed off again.

6. NDub

NDub Guest

I'll let LOTR be fantastical because the entire movie is like that. It's a fake world. If you're mixing 9/11 and fantastical then you're doing it wrong and probably terribly. Yet you're somehow getting Academy love.

7. Dick Whitman

Would you say this about the book, too?

What about a film like "X-Men: First Class" that was anchored in the Cuban Missile Crisis?

8. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Nope, live-action. Perhaps you're thinking of The Adventures of Tintin?

Its Metacritic score is even worse - a 46.

9. Dick Whitman

Thought of another snub: "50/50"

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Remain acutely aware why I hate the expanded Best-Picture list:

It accommodates a good deal more borderline drivel.

The only two pictures which should absolutely, positively be in any list of five are The Artist and The Descendents . . . and while I'll give an incomplete to Hugo because I haven't seen it, I suspect I'll be disappointed when I do.

I loved Midnight in Paris, because I know what Woody can do when he's firing (and it's been a damn long time coming since his peak of 30+ years ago), and I loved the concept . . . but Best Picture? Jeezus. I think it comes up empty on Oscar night, though I'm personally delighted he made it.

And my full thoughts on Extremely Long and Incredibly Boring and Help! are largely unprintable in family newspapers. And that's the way it is.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Didn't think that "50/50" would be considered strong enough to break out of the comedy ghetto and get a Best Picture nod. If anything was going to do that, it was "Bridesmaids."

12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Don't be so sure. I liked it better than either of the other two. I understand why it won't win, but it's a delightful film.

Draft saved Draft deleted