1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012-13 College Basketball Running Cordial Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

UNC is still pretty good, and McAdoo will be an All American, but Indiana is legit No. 1.

Never seen the Hoosiers play like this. Zeller is an early Player of the Year candidate.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No shit?

3. Songbird

You want to see him do it against the North Carolinas as well as the Sam Houston States and North Dakota States.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

He averaged 15 and 7 as a freshman and was on just about all the preseason All-American teams. He had proven himself against good competition plenty of times before.

5. Songbird

And when you're talking Player of the Year you're looking for those defining games.

Last night was a defining game against a still-very-good North Carolina team.

6. JackReacher

Defining games are for determining the winner, much like a football player having a Heisman moment late in the season. Defining games come in Feb. and March for college basketball players.

He didn't just become a candidate last night. He's been one since day 1. He'd still be a strong candidate even if he had 10 and 6 last night instead of 20-8.

In related news, boy that Indiana team could really compete for the national title this year. Who knew? :)

7. Songbird

What would people be saying if he had 3 points and 7 rebounds and 1 block and 4 fouls last night?

Defining moments also come in November when Indiana and UNC play. It's a History of the Game type of game.

The defining moment last night was late in the first half when Scooter Boy (whoever No. 1 is) got the ball at the UNC foul line after a miss and heaved an outlet to Zeller, who had streaked past UNC's laggers and caught the ball deep and dunked it in stride. I look at Zeller much differently now because of that play, and his overall game against the best of the best.

And yes, I realize UNC might have some growing pains this season, but it's still UNC with an All American and a bunch of studs.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A week ago against Butler, save for a mad scramble in garbage time that was fool's gold.

9. JackReacher

I mean....ok. My point was, your post made it seem like last night's game vaulted Zeller into the discussion. It didn't. He's been in the discussion since the discussion started. And typically he's the front-runner in those discussions.

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Xan - You may look at him differently, but those who watched him last year and the top CBB analysts see this as the continued maturation of a very good player. Also, I'd like for you to point who other than McAdoo has played like a "stud" during their time at UNC. That team is not as good, at least not now, as you're making it out to be. They got run off the floor by Butler as well.

11. Songbird

Not vaulted into the discussion -- just vaulted him to the top of the list in that discussion.

And damn, Indiana is fantastic.

No. 0 reminds me of Thunder Dan Majerle.

12. JackReacher

Again, no it didn't. He's been there.

Draft saved Draft deleted