1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Sportswoman & Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 Sportsman of the Year?

Maybe Stevens and Luck together, headline: "What's Right With College Sports."

Although part of me hates the idea of fetishizing staying in school. I personally don't think it was a morally superior choice than the alternative.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nothing is right with college sports.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it should be Jacksonville Jaguars fans. Because we know they're the best in the NFL. :D

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'll say it's going to be the St. Louis Cardinals team. Goes against the grain seeing that only 3 teams ever have been given the award (04 Red Sox, 99 Women's Olympic Soccer team, 80 Olympic Hockey team), but the remarkable comebacks put together some nice material for a Sportsmen storyline.

This will officially be my last gushing fanboi post about this team. (Well, in likelihood it won't, but it I tried to type this with at least halfhearted sincerity).

If Johnson won his 6th title, I would say he would win it. But, that (winning the title) ain't happening.

The two others who I thought of right off were Rodgers and Brad Stevens. Could see either of those easily happening.

Or what about David Freese? Local kid hero of the Series after quitting the sport, etc. (Damn, can't even get out of this post without breaking the promise--like an alcoholic with the last/next drink).

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Moses was on a seven year winning streak in 1984, he had won his second gold medal in LA (boycott cost him another one).

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't see Stevens winning it. The only coaches to win: Dean Smith, Don Shula, Joe Paterno, John Wooden. And...Brad Stevens?

Which is maybe why I could see La Russa. He's not as legendary as those four, but there's never been a manager and his record is as impressive as anyone's the last 50 years. And Bissinger will write the feature.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Will they limit the number of times Buzz can say "fuck"?

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

La Russa would be an interesting choice -- especially for whoever DOES have to write the article. Which of the many "I respect the miserable prick to the max" quotes do you use and how?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

LaRussa's not winning it. Remember, they care about selling magazines. :D

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Hockey is completely off the grid, but what about Tim Thomas? Vezina Trophy winner, then gets even better in the playoffs to deliver the first Stanley Cup to Boston since 1972. But I'm pretty sure the rest of the country is pretty sick of New England by now.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thomas would be a fine choice, which has about the same chance of happening as Tim Tebow being MVP of Super Bowl XLVI.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dan Patrick for the Occupy Game Day movement.

Draft saved Draft deleted