1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Sportswoman & Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 Sportsman of the Year?

Tebow.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

ESPN. For creating the Longhorn Network and thus creating all the shifts in college athletics. Since it's all about the student athletes.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Rory McIlroy.

Piss down your leg with 9 holes left at The Masters, then lap the field a month later at The U.S. Open.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Rodgers or Nowitzki

Take your pick.

Wheldon is a good dark horse.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think you're onto something, Chef. McIlroy would a) be a good choice, b) fit into SI's marketing mania (Golf Plus, etc.) and c) allow them to write a "trend" piece on young and international golfers replacing Tiger as the face of the sport.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This would be my vote.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This thread is just a reminder at how badly SI missed the boat last year by not doing the umpire and the pitcher from the nearly perfect game.

Rodgers seems like a pretty easy choice, which probably means they'll go with someone else...

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If they keep picking the winning QB of last season's Super Bowl, folks are going to tune out the award more than they already are.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What about Brad Stevens? Stays at Butler, then against all odds leads them to another national runner-up finish?

Hook could be how in a year in which all of these major scandals blew up in college sports, Stevens does it "the right way." I recall a story by Pat Forde or someone of his ilk about how Stevens won't even gossip about recruiting with writers off the record.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Ron Washington. It was heartwarming how he helped Tony LaRussa go out a winner.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He blows the competition away.

The more i think about it, the more I like Dirk.

12. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I like the basic logic, but I see it more as an argument for Luck. The real messes in college sports are in football, which Luck provides a better contrast to. "In a year when Miami, Ohio State, and USC are dealing with their bullshit, and every week another school switches conferences to chase money, and that guy wrote that story in The Atlantic Monthly that we all read, Andrew Luck serves as a reminder...."

Draft saved Draft deleted