1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Sportswoman & Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Nov 1, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 Sportsman of the Year?

Andrew Luck.

1B, Cameron Newton.

Both would sell a lot of magazines and both epitomize the state of both ends of the football spectrum.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Andrew Luck. Most talked about football player by people who have never watched him take a snap. Supposedly the next John Elway. SI can gamble and perhaps look like geniuses in 20 years.

Also, Kermit McManus. Best fan of sport.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Boy, it really hasn't been much of a sports year, has it?

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's definitely not 2008.

5. Traveling

Traveling Member

I don't know what SI's qualifications are for the award, but it seems like they've never been about making a statement (unlike big brother Time has with Man of the Year). Too bad, because Jim Delany would be a great choice this year. Delany's done next to nothing this year, but what he did with the Big 10 in 2010 -- its effects are still being felt today in a major way. Has anyone influenced college football over the last 25 years like Delany has in the last 18 months?

SI probably screwed up by never choosing Federer in his prime. It's on the verge of doing so with Jimmie Johnson. But if Johnson somehow wins his sixth straight NASCAR title, how do you give it to anyone but him? I'm still amazed that Brees won it last year ahead of Johnson AND Landon Donovan.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't understand the complaint that the award "used" to mean something. The award's always had bizarre, borderline ludicrous choices.

Read The Franchise and there's the delightful story of how Gil Rogin basically demanded Mary Decker get it in 1983 because he was infatuated with her. Martina had a dominant year. Moses and Lewis had better years on the track. Moses Malone led the Sixers to the title. But Rogin liked Mary Decker's ass in track shorts.

Maybe they go too much for the big sports these days. But when they went out of their way to avoid them back in the day it seemed even stranger.

Two speed-skaters have won it since a boxer.

Magic should have won it in '87. First MVP, skyhook in Game 4, took over from Kareem, etc. It went to the athletes who care. Which was nice, I suppose.

How did Carl Lewis not win it when Edwin Moses and Mary Lou Retton did in '84?

It could be an eye-rolling choice this year. But that wouldn't really be anything new.

Still better than Time's Man of the Year. Forget the Rudy choice or even "You." In 1955 Jonas Salk introduced the polio vaccine to the world. Man of the year? Nah. That was Harlow Curtice, head of GM.

7. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

You all are missing the obvious pick: Billy Beane!

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

George Cohen.

9. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

If Texas had won the World Series, I could see them picking Josh Hamilton.

Pujols might win. I don't think any athlete has ever been as dominant in their 30s as Pujols ;D

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was going to say Goodell, for "saving" football, but it seems of late they've been considering how much charitable work the pick does as well, which made Brees a shoo-in with all the Katrina relief he participates in.

11. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

the Japanese women's World Cup team

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Don't care if Luck gets it. Just wanted to point out the best line I've read in a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted