1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Running British Open Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

The missed 2 1/2 footer on No. 11 -- which Paul Azinger called, BTW -- was the beginning of the end. From there, Phil was a mess, despite his "new attitude" at Opens -- whatever that means.

I've always said the British Open would be the one major that eludes Phil. His game is just too aerial for links golf and even with his legendary short-game, escape wizardry, his penchant for American, parkland-style golf (which rewards aerial golf) and perfect knack for gacking short putts at crucial times would cancel that out.

A great, great win for Darren Clarke, who played superb golf tee-to-cup this weekend. Every time he had a crucial putt to make, it went in; every time he had an up-and-down, it went up-and-down. His ball-striking and wind-cheating shots were masterful.

As for DJ, nobody's going to confuse him with a deep thinker and until Joe LaCava (Fred Couples' former longtime caddie) can get in his head and teach him some course management skills, these near-misses and epic meltdowns will continue.

All in all, a damn good tournament. And it's nice to not see He Who Shall Not Be Named coming in here in full ignorant troll splendor spoiling it with idiocy about the British Open "not being real golf." F'ing stupid.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, they had places 2-3 and, IIRC, five in the top ten.

Yes, its now six straight majors without a US winner. But, really, if you go back over the past 10 years or so and subtract Woods and Mickelson, it's the same story. Those guys won so often that it made the lack of depth near the top easy to overlook.

What gives with Lee Westwood and Luke Donald? Ranked 1-2 in the world, neither of them seems to be in serious contention at a major and both missed the cut this week on home soil.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I just think it's remarkable that Northern Ireland, of all places, has produced three of the six most recent major winners, one of whom also closed out the Ryder Cup last year.

Combine them with the accomplishments of Padraig Harrington and, as I said on FB, it's great to see that the Irish have found something they can do as well as they drink and fight. ;) :D

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What the hell was that? 2 back and he's got an iron in hand knowing that Clarke cannot reach in 2 and will lay up. Dustin, man I root for you but that was one of the worst potential "clutch" shots I can recall seeing. OB? Really? Aim 50 yds left. You're thinking birdie, not eagle. Especially with the way Clarke had been putting the whole tournament.

Anyways though, I'm happy for Clarke, he's always seemed like a fun guy and he's lost a wife tragically. Unbelievable that 3 of last 6 major winners are from Northern Ireland (Brit, but not really.)

5. printdust

printdust New Member

Six straight is what ultimately counts. No one remembers who finished second...It may be a year or two from turning around.

Gee, I remember when John Daly was looked upon as America's great hope. Sheesh.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This.

I've said as well that Phil will never win a British. Not that he can't, but sometimes you have to hit a 130-yard 6 iron into a gale-force wind, rather than try and nuke a 9-iron.

As far as Dustin Johnson goes.....if you have an iron in your hand there, aim 40 yards left and bleed it.....the one place you can't miss.....well, he did, and it cost him the tournament.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Nice payday:

Draft saved Draft deleted