1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Running British Open Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

All Tom Rinaldi is missing during his pieces are kitties and puppies on his lap. And a dolphin poster in the background.

2. Yeah he's known for as many Sunday collapses as majors bagged.
    I wouldn't call this a collapse. He had a super start, but I don't know how many thought he could sustain a 5 or 7-under final round. I didn't.
    He had a great run, but fell off.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Almost killing people in the grandstands is closing in on collapse status.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This round has summed up Phil's career, really. Wild and aggressive, pulling off wild shots with lots of thrills and cheers, but then followed up with gags, spinouts and missed 3-footers that in the end leaves him and everyone else laughing and shaking their heads at the absurdity of it.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

There's Rory McIlroy and Roy McAvoy Phil Mickelson. The latter goes for it, perhaps a bit too much.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

To Phil's credit, that bogey by Johnson at 18 puts Mickelson one step closer to Jack's record of most runner-up finishes.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Dustin Johnson was the one who could have given Clarke the most heat on the back, especially after bombing that drive on 14.

Hitting his approach OB was the final nail. Last four holes turned into a victory stroll.

Good for Clarke.

8. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

After 39 PGA wins and four majors, I think Lefty is at the point where he pretty much accepts whatever happens, good or bad. He knows what he's accomplished.

I know he's always had the "Aw, shucks" mentality, but he's still been much more laid back the last few years. Phil's past the point of calling himself an idiot... During press conferences, at least.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Glad to see Clarke win. Good to see the 40-somethings can still play.

It goes to show that in the post-Tiger era, it is darn near impossible who is going to win each week.

10. printdust

printdust New Member

U.S. golf is about as competitive now in major championships as U.S. boxing. Well, not that bad, but they can see the pit of hell from where they're at.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

For better or worse (WRT "is golf a sport?"), Tom Watson pretty much slam dunked that subject a couple of years ago.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Johnson, Fowler, and Kim will all be back again though.

Draft saved Draft deleted