1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Running British Open Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Jul 14, 2011.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

It also comes into play when they do pairings. Say Tiger is the leader at 12-under on Saturday and two players are tied for second at 11-under. Whoever posts the first 11-under is in the final group on Sunday. Edit: OK, I'm a idiot. I didn't read the WHOLE post before I added my two cents!

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Hounds have had enough, just sitting this one out.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You know it's bad when even the hounds decide to take a Tiger-like pass.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

But for TV purposes, I understand. If Tiger and Joe Nobody are tied for seventh, and seven names fit on the TV leaderboard, Tiger's getting the nod every single time. Got no problem with that.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I have gotten up at 3am both days to watch this. Love them or hate them, the WWL does one hell of a job with The Open.

From Tirico and Van Pelt all the way down, it is a top-notch broadcast.

Oh, and add Ian McShane to my list of people I would listen to read the dictionary list.

6. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

It would be so great to see Darren Clarke win this thing. Would be another tremendous story

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Tom Watson sinks a hole-in-one. The man never ceases to amaze me.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Phil Mushnick has written about this in regards to Tiger a number of times.

TV networks will never be satisfied by just covering an event.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Should be a fun weekend. 31 guys within 4 shots of the lead, 58 within 6 shots. Anyone's tournament. Kaymer and Schwartzel look dangerous--they've been there before. And in the whodathunkit category, how about Tom Lehman at -2?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Speaking of releasing the hounds, it's "The Open", not "The British Open" :)

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I bloody knew someone would say that, JR. I paused like three times as I wrote the title of this thread and then thought: oh the hell with it. It's known in the US as the British Open, not the Open Championship. So there is your answer.

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'm an arrogant American. I'll call it what I want! (Or I'll start calling it The Open when the folks in England learn to correctly pronounce Seve Ballesteros' last name.)

Draft saved Draft deleted