1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Rugby World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow. That's actually a pretty huge win.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I was up till the wee hours watching the game last nigh, completely shocked the Canadians won. I expected that after the Tongan try near the end of the first half that they would roll in the second half with the wind at their back.

I had not seen Canada play in a while and was shocked at how much more physical the Tongans were in the tackles.

3. Armchair_QB

None of the Pacific Island teams (Tonga, Fiji, Samoa) shy away from contact.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I was more surprised at the lack of physicality by the Canadians giving that they are not a real finesse team. They just looked over matched.

5. Armchair_QB

USA-Russia will air live on Universal Sports at 3:30 am ET tonight. This is probably the best chance for a US win at this year's tourney.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

20 minutes in -- so far, so good. US 10-3 Russia. Eagles handling and tackling well, only seen one missed attempt at goal so far. Nervy stuff, though.

7. TrooperBari

Gah. Two successive 10-plus phase possessions deep in Russian territory, one turnover and one missed penalty. Can't be leaving points on the table.

8. Armchair_QB

Yeah. They missed two kicks and were inside the 5 meter a few times. Don't think 10 points will be enough to win this.

9. TrooperBari

Halftime, US 10-3 Russia. It got awfully scrappy near the end of the half, US with 5 handling errors. Two Eagles forced off with injuries, too.

Good start, but 10 points definitely isn't going to cut it.

10. Armchair_QB

Man, it's pouring there right now.

11. TrooperBari

It makes the shots of Americans -- men and women -- shivering in bikini tops all the more patriotic.

12. TrooperBari

Two bullets dodged by the US early in the half. Eagles still tackling well, but Russia piling on the pressure.

Draft saved Draft deleted