1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XXXX

XXXX Member

******SPOILER ALERT**********

Barrett showed up at this weeks smackdown taping to cost Bg show his #1 contender match which Ziggler ended up winning.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I usually fast-forward through the wrestling parts. No wonder it went so fast.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Shit. Leave it to the WWE to ruin a good thing. I was hoping they'd continue the Barrett/Nexus storyline rather than just blow it off.

They'll probably come up with some sort of "Anonymous GM trades Barrett to Smackdown for a rubber hand to be named later," crap.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Update from 2010 thread: Del Rio is growing on me. The personal announcer cracks me up.

5. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, I like the announcer, too. It's kinda an homage to the Lucha Libre tradition when the announcer calls out Del Rio's name.

And dare I say it, but the anonymous GM gimmick as grown on me as well. I thought it was just going to be this stupid little gimmick, and it is. But Cole's heel turn has turned it into something that I almost look forward to.

6. billikens

billikens Member

I'm wondering why they'd put Del Rio in a random match on Raw. I missed the opening of the match and only watched for snippets during, so I'm assuming they addressed/explained it for the audience, but from a backstage standpoint, why do that unless you're about to elevate him (Royal Rumble winner?) or introduce him to the Raw audience to set up a potential move.

I'm not sure him winning the Rumble makes sense as it really wouldn't fit with past winners. Most have already been established main-eventers (granted I wasn't following in 03-06, so I couldn't tell you if Lesner, Benoit, Batista and Mysterio were actually main eventers then). But perhaps a swap with Barrett to Smackdown and Del Rio to Raw? I don't see what it accomplishes, but that's never stopped the WWE before.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of my co-workers has that same e-mail chime they use for the Raw GM (I guess it's a Windows default thing), and whenever I hear it I want someone in the newsroom to step up to a podium and make an announcement.

8. Baron Scicluna

Lesnar was pretty much a main eventer from when he first debuted, so it wasn't that much of a surprise.

Benoit had always been on the cusp of the main event in the WWE, although you always wondered if Vince would ever give in and give him the belt, so it wasn't a huge surprise. Mysterio was a bit of a surprise, but they had been giving him a pretty good push beforehand.

Batista was probably the biggest shock. He was the muscle of Evolution at the time. HHH was the leader, and Orton was the future, while Flair did his share of talking and taking bumps. Batista was just the big quiet guy who went out and destroyed anyone who got into Hunter's path. Winning the Rumble was his first real big break.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My iPhone has a text message alert sound just like it as well.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Does the co-worker's e-mail or your iphone also make the lights go on and off? That'd be awesome.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Light switch is all the way at the other end of the newsroom, so no. :p

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Can you program it to say "You've got the crazy eyes, Edge!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.