1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

I, too, thought last week that the whole hate thing was where they might go with it. I know some people didn't like the closing segment, but I think it's a different direction to go in with them playing off the crowd's divided chants. I also thought Cena's facial expressions when the "Cena Sucks!" chants got going were good as well. Maybe it's just me, though.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The ending segment, though long, was great.

Kane on the mic was great, hitting on all the points that Piper did a few weeks ago when he tried to get Cena to acknowledge that he was hated by so much of the fanbase. Him leading the "Cena sucks!" chant was hilarious.

And Cena's facial expressions during the whole thing had me laughing my ass off. I can't stand Cena the wrestler, but the guy is good as the face of the WWE because of all the stuff he does away from the ring. But they need to turn him heel and let him stay heel for a long while -- then maybe they can turn him face a year or so down the road.

3. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Oh, I know all too well of the E's tendency to gloss over stuff like "I'll be the champ at WM, Dwayne!" ... Sometimes, also, I think they second-guess stuff like the Bryan thing in favor of hot-shotting due to factors beyond the line of sight (Punk and the Head Broski blowing up like mad, for instance ...)

rb

4. KYSportsWriter

A friend just gave this to me a few seconds ago:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I saw on one of the web sites (can't recall which one), that originally, the plan was for Bryan to win the belt at WM. Then they decided to push it up to the Elimination Chamber. But then, once Henry got hurt (legit), they decided to push up the timetable.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what the Observer reported in its issue last week. Apparently, Henry didn't have medical clearance to work in that match against the Big Show at TLC, and was just barely able to gut it out for that match.

7. KYSportsWriter

So if the guy is legit hurt, why does he keep showing up on TV?

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Why not? Worked for Austin in '97.

9. KYSportsWriter

Henry clearly isn't on the level Austin was.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To finish the storyline, and to keep him in the mix. Plus, the guy will then earn his paycheck (which reminds me, did Bryan and the Bellas actually get their usual amount for making about a 30-second appearance Monday night? Nice work if you can get it.)

It's like when Curt Hennig was Flair's "Executive Consultant" in the WWF in end of '91 and '92. Hennig was injured, and got to serve an important role anyways.

11. KYSportsWriter

My thing is they named him as the third opponent for Punk, yet everyone knows he's hurt. That should've been a huge giveaway that Punk wasn't going to run the gauntlet to the folks there.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

No, but Henry is the hottest that he's been at any point in his career. Keep trotting him out with a pulled groin, limit his physical interactions, and the fans won't forget about him.

Not everyone is a smark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.