1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get why they're not being pushed. They seem like a natural together. Hot, snobby woman with rich, talented man with a (no pun intended) legacy.

Instead, they're being made to look like fools, when in reality, they could pull off HHH/Steph II and be a major force.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

They just have no chemistry together. Part of it was they audibled out of the DiBiase face turn that was scheduled to happen around the time of that crappy The Marine sequel because Orton was getting too much pop to ignore. Had they gone full-bore with the Million Dollar Legacy idea, a 21st century working of the original concept, it could have had legs.

But DiBiase doesn't seem like he has the chops to handle that kind of character -- or any character, really, because outside of that one match when he had to let Orton beat him, he never generated any face reaction. And Maryse's snobby girl act doesn't go very far or very deep, which I think's been exposed here. Remember when the Miz was trying to get with her? That wouldn't have been a good pairing either, but her rebuffing him was probably the best use of her skill set. Now, she's just another hot blond in an organization full of them, and she doesn't do her thing nearly as well as LayCool.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I would keep Kong and Beth apart for as long as possible.

Have her come in and run roughshod over the rest of the ladies, finally attacking Beth's closest friend. This would see Beth begin to run her off, which they can milk for a while until the inevitable grudge match.

Knowing Vince, she'll probably come in and job to Beth on the first day.

4. billikens

billikens Member

I'm actually just posting on this thread so it'll pop up when I click "new replies to your posts."

Half the time, this is how I keep up on what's going on.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I actually think Maryse would work as a face, because she is so god damn hot. Trish Stratus debuted as a heel too and eventually got over, because if you're hot enough, I think the crowd naturally wants to cheer you eventually. Have Kong or Laycool or someone else lay her out at some point to get some sympathy, and have her be a reluctant face or tweener when she comes back.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Used to "follow" Maryse on Twitter. Some of the stuff she would post on there was spectacular.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

WWE goes to the "arrogant heel gets their comeuppance" well *way* too often. It's why Maryse and Ted can't get anywhere, and it's why the Miz gets to be the champion but has to almost job to Lawler.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

*scrambles to find Maryse's Twitter feed*

Oh, and bookmark too. (Hi, billikens!) :D

Anything good so far tonight? I'm finally live again (purchased an HDTV last week), but stuck at work.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Usually watch at the office, but we're watching the Orange Bowl.

10. Baron Scicluna

Very good match for the title between Miz and Morrison. Miz wins after Morrison misses Starship Pain from the top rope onto a table outside the ring, then hits the SkullCrushing Finale.

Morrison dove off the top of the WWE sign over the entryway of the Titantron onto Miz and Riley. Took some other good bumps. They made it out like Miz was just barely good enough, and Morrison is a tough contender.

New three-way No. 1 contenders match for a title match at the Rumble in a cage between Barrett, Sheamus and Orton. Punk came out, talking about laying Cena out last week. Barrett came out, claimed he put out Cena in Pa. Anonymous GM interrupts, making the cage match. Punk adds the stipulation that if Barrett loses, he's out of Nexus. If he wins, Punk will let Barrett lead. Hmmmm.

Usos beat Santino/Kozlov in non-title match cleanly, then Santino/Tamina hit a simulateous Cobra on Uso No. 1 (or 2, can't tell the difference).

Divas six-woman tag. Natalya/Brie Bella/Eve beats Maryse/Melina/Alicia. Eve pinned Melina with a type of neckbreaker. Meh.

11. Baron Scicluna

So now we have our answer on Nexus. Barrett's out. Now we'll be getting the old, "Can Cena trust his tag-team partner Barrett?" storyline.

And Orton's the No. 1 contender. Big surprise there.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

For a group whose entire shtick is that they stick together, Nexus sure does kick out a lot of members.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.