1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 NHL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Which he would be on many teams.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I hope so. I don't want to get too up because I don't want to be let down, but Jagr on the Penguins again would be something else. Even in limited minutes, I think he would give the Pens a sorely needed boost on the power play.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I think Holtby's the best of your young goalies long term anyways. He was always just a year or two behind on the developmental ladder. But something had to give with the three headed monster and I'm not surprised Varlamov is out.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Saw this on Twitter and thought it a good breakdown of Stamkos' situation. At least, it's informative for a hockey lightweight like me. :)

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/breaking-down-the-steven-stamkos-saga-leading-up-to-july-1/

5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Why not just go back to Smythe, Norris, Patrick and Adams?

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

HOF inductees announced. Belfour, Nieuwendyk, Gilmour and Mark Howe. It's an all-Toronto class.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hall of Fame inductees:
    #1 - Eddie Belfour
    #2 - Doug Gilmour
    #3 - Mark Howe
    #4 - Joe Nieuwendyk

Kind of thought we might see Pat Burns name there.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think Eddie the Eagle might be tipping a few back tonight.

Meanwhile, Don Cherry just wet himself and he doesn't know why.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not enough younger people and casual fans know the significance or could remember which teams are in which division. I mean, anyone can figure out Detroit isn't in the Atlantic, Northeast, Pacific or Southeast Division, so it makes it easier to follow.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Depends. Could be good or could be like Mike Modano with the Wings this year.

Granted, Modano did miss a good chunk of the season to injury and never got on track when he was healthy, but he ended up being a healthy scratch at times during the season and playoffs.

Sometimes, I think it'd be better to let a younger kid get experience there, instead of going back to crusty, old veterans.

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

The thing with Modano was the team that knew him best knew he was (and is) done. He's just not the same player he was even 3-4 years ago. I don't know what the Wings thought the upside of that signing was other than getting an area kid on their team for one last year.

A billion congratulations and a celebratory bottle of cough syrup to Mr. Belfour, who is probably best and most combustible goalie I ever got to see play in person. Also a tip of the cap to Nieuwendyk, who was the difference maker for a pair of Cup teams and manage to hang on for a third.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They just interviewed Ken Hitchock on the Fan 590 and they were discussing Belfour's 'whacky ways", as Ken called them

Said no one EVER talked to Eddie on Game Day and the only thing the coaches would say to him whether he was starting or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted