1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 NHL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Sea Bass, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Sonics left Seattle for because the taxpayers refused to pony up money for a new arena, no? Why would that change all of a sudden for a hockey team. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

And my take on what the divisions should look like:

EAST
    Montreal
    Boston
    Ottawa
    N.Y. Rangers
    N.Y. Islanders
    New Jersey
    Buffalo
    Toronto

SOUTH
    Washington
    Carolina
    Tampa Bay
    Florida
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Columbus

MIDWEST
    Dallas
    St. Louis
    Minnesota
    Chicago
    Winnipeg
    Nashville
    Detroit

PACIFIC
    San Jose
    Anaheim
    Los Angeles
    Phoenix
    Vancouver
    Colorado
    Calgary
    Edmonton

I know Detroit wants to move East, but would they really put the Red Wings in the "South" Division while keeping Columbus out west? I don't see the league splitting the Devils from the other NYC area teams either. Nashville makes much more sense in the Midwest than the South because of the time zone issue. Plus, Detroit has so much history with teams like Chicago and St. Louis. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Can we shoot the first editor who writes a "Bruins do the Dougie" hed?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Steven Stamkos will be on the cover of the NHL 12 video game.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

1.5 million Canadians watched last Friday night's 1st round of the entry draft. Those are pretty spectacular numbers for a friggin' draft. A Leafs/Canadiens game would get that on HNIC.

And Free Agency Day begins on July 1 aka Canada Day. ;D

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Flyers get rid of Carcillo and Powe. Purge continues.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

First, Malkin said he wanted to get back into the best-player-in-the-world discussion. Now comes word from Russia that he's supposedly working harder this summer than he ever has -- and that he could've returned had the Pens advanced deeper in the playoffs.

Already, I'm looking forward to next season.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Was listening to the local sports talk station tonight and they were saying Jagr has a handshake agreement to return to the Penguins, has anyone heard anything on this?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Caps are expected to lose Varlamov to free agency in the next couple of days. KHL seems like the more likely option. But what other teams in the NHL would want him? He's a restricted free agent, he's 23-years-old, and he's shown a lot of promise. Thoughts?

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

My thoughts? Let him go. Lots of talent, but he seems to be fragile between the legs (groin is always injured) and between the ears.

In other Caps news, Washington signed Brooks Laich to a six-year extension. Like that move. Also, to the Blackhawks fans, how much should I like this move to pick up Troy Brouwer? Seems like adding another tough guy to the rotation can't be a bad thing.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I always liked Troy Brower. Decent hands and will crash and bang.

11. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

Depends on how you plan to use him and how much he costs. He's made his name on the Blackhawks being the guy who benefits from being on a line with Toews and Kane. He's looking to get paid for his stats, when he couldn't produce this stats in most situations.

On a good team, he's a good third-liner or the worst of your top 6. He'll throw a ton of hits, is generally defensively responsible (except for when he's trying too hard to throw hits) and won't mess things up.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Laich is getting paid like a 60 point per year, quality second line player.

Draft saved Draft deleted