1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 NCAA women thread ... better late than never?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by holy bull, Apr 3, 2011.

1. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

JD cracks me up again.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The problem notre dame has is they need to win it all or last night was meaningless even though they jumped around like they had just won it all

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

They dress this up as a big time sport, and the Women's Final Four is nothing more than lipstick on a pig.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-04-01/women-s-basketball-teams-operate-in-red-as-salaries-break-college-budgets.html

Women’s basketball at the 53 public schools in the six largest conferences recorded operating losses last fiscal year of $109.7 million, while the men’s teams had operating profits of $240 million, according to their financial records.

Blow this shiat up.

4. poindexter

At Auburn University, salaries and benefits cost $1.14 million, or 1,783 percent of the Tigers’ operating revenue of $64,225, and the program posted a $3.16 million operating loss.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The 1951 New York Giants lost the World Series.

Just saying.

I think there is cachet in being national runners-up. And, for them at least, they knocked off their in-conference tormenter. They also beat Tennessee, a program that Notre Dame was 0-20 against before the Elite Eight game.

Beating Tennessee and UConn back-to-back is something to celebrate. I have no problem with it, and don't think losing the title game (I have no idea what night it is) makes that accomplishment "meaningless."

6. poindexter

In 2010, (the NCAA) received $6.74 million in ticket sales from the women’s tournament, and spent $13.9 million to run the event, according to the NCAA.

Nice.

Get this shit outta here.

7. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

We get your point. How about combining all of your facts into one post, big boy? Then read up on Title IX.

8. poindexter

Title IX sucks cock. I get it, its the law. In reality, its these revenue losing sports leeching off the backs of the DI football and basketball players. It is shameful.

9. poindexter

Each of the 53 teams lost money in the fiscal year ended 2010, and the average operating deficit was $2.07 million on average operating revenue of $804,577, according to data compiled by Bloomberg and obtained through Freedom of Information Act requests.

Average revenue -$800,000
    Average expenses - $2,800,000

Despicable

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that.

11. poindexter

I'm sure once ESPN finally gets around to promoting Women's basketball, those numbers will really turn around.

12. MartinonMTV2

MartinonMTV2 New Member

Any particular reason why you keep breaking points from the same article into individual posts? Does women's basketball bother you that much?

You know, I talked to one of the area women's coaches a couple of seasons ago. At one point, she asked if there was any way that more people would come to the games. We discussed a few things, and then I added, "There will always be people who think they're cool by speaking out repeatedly against this level of play. That will never change." You prove my point.

Draft saved Draft deleted