1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 NCAA women thread ... better late than never?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by holy bull, Apr 3, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It wasn't interesting until UConn lost. Too bad that didn't happen until the Final Four.

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'm not sure if this was the same interview, but in the TV interview with Lobo as soon as the game was over, Geno wasted no time making a veiled comment about the refs "letting Notre Dame play the way they wanted to" or some such bullshit. Total bullshit no-class ref excuse.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Impossible. Right?

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Ya know, I listened expecting to hear that exact thing, and I didn't.

It was more along the lines of "They drove right at us and made the officials make a decision. We didn't recover from that very well."

He may well have thought the refs screwed him, but that's a fairly diplomatic way of saying as much.

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I will say that the court design, with the old school lane and what not, is rather ballsy.

6. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Killjoy

7. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Why does he even have to reference the refs? If he thought that highly of ND's play, then just say that. HE introduced the ref element, which means it was something he had a problem with, in my humble estimation. No one asked him about the officiating, it just came out of his own self-generated ether.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On a basketball note, boy could you tell the UConn women haven't played a close game in three years. That final two minutes was one big exercise in "Holy shit I have the ball WHERE'S MAYA!!!!!"

On a note that's closer to what we're all thinking, Skyler Diggins restored my faith in the ability of a women's basketball player to look feminine.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I would say it extended to more than just the last two minutes. And what, Brittany Griner ain't feminine?

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Notre Dame was also able to exploit what no one else could all season long -- UConn's zero depth in the post. But yeah, Doris Burke was saying with about 2 1/2 minutes to go, I think, that Moore was going to be taking just about every shot.

I don't know what it says about the women's game that even a UConn team that's not up to par (one real scorer, lack of post depth, six-woman rotation) was still one of the last four standing.

Meanwhile, Texas A&M's drive-and-dish with no time outs left was a thing of beauty. I can see Tuesday's game going down to the wire but sucking in the ratings because the majority will think that if it's not a UConn-Stanford final, it won't be worth watching.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I see what you did there.

12. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Stanford's Tara Vandeveer (I know that's not spelled right) was interviewed during the second half of the earlier game, so that wasn't just a UConn thing. I'm glad UConn lost, though. Geno's a weasel.

Draft saved Draft deleted