1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 MLB.com summer internships

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Apply for the Pirates and half of your stories can be about "this next prospect will turn things around" or plenty of features on movers when their good good players get traded for a player to be named later.

2. mattlindner

mattlindner New Member

If you're a college student, go after this with everything you've got. The experience you'll have will be one you talk about for the rest of your life. Plus - as stated earlier in the thread - often times, these internships are unpaid. Mine was but looking back on it, after the experience that I had I felt like I should be paying them. Not to mention that at 2k a month, you're going to be making more than some who do this full time.

3. ironhead

ironhead New Member

I'm sure any of these 30 positions would be a fantastic opportunity. On the other hand, I have read some on here indicate that the quality of the experience would be somewhat dependent on what beat writer you were paired with. I would be interested to get some feedback on the more attractive teams / beat writers in that regard.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Make sure you use your internship as a way to network. Don't expect a job to be handed to you.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I've had one of these internships and was paired with an excellent beat writer. I don't know where the best places to land would be, but I believe I much rather be at a smaller market club because you have more opportunities to break news, better access to players (rather than sharing with other reporters) and you're more of a source for information (rather than having 25 different people read Yankees material, you could be one of 3-4 reporting on the Mariners). Just my input.

6. nate41

nate41 Member

I think its been mentioned, but boy, I wish I had known about this program in college. Looks like a great chance if you put in the work and are paired with the right reporter.

7. pce2210

pce2210 New Member

Has anyone heard anything about this internship yet?

8. jps5226

jps5226 New Member

Down to roughly the last 60 for probably around 27-28 spots. At least one spot has been guaranteed through the AWSM and I'm sure there are probably 1 or 2 other organizations that put someone in a position every year.

Final decisions should be made by Jan. 20.

9. gonzosyntax

gonzosyntax New Member

any info on if they've interviewed people or if they're just making selections?

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No and I applied 5 years ago. #BitterAndJelous

11. gonzosyntax

gonzosyntax New Member

Anyone hear back yet?

12. GarrettWampler

GarrettWampler New Member

I recieved the bad news earlier today.

Draft saved Draft deleted