1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 MLB.com summer internships

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Sep 29, 2010.

1. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

As another alum of this (also the year they didn't pay, not that I'm bitter), I will say it's probably about the best experience you can get in an internship.

One piece of advice for anyone interested: The full-time MLB.com beat writer for the team you're covering will have a HUGE impact on how much you enjoy and get out of the internship. This is the person you are interacting with nearly every day and who has a lot of influence over what assignments you do and how you do them. There is a lot of variation among that group, so if you're ranking your preferences of which teams you want to cover, think about that carefully and do as much research as you can.

2. Cheng Sio

Cheng Sio New Member

As you can tell, I second everything said before me as, I too, was a part of the 2009 class.

3. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

I did this is 2006 (the $8.50 an hour summer). My experience, working with one of the best beat writers in the country, was invaluable. I'm a better reporter now because of that summer. Any questions, you can PM me as well.

4. ARose17

ARose17 Member

Ah yes, I was also a part of the unpaid summer. I'll also echo what Dennis said. Having a good beat writer makes all the difference. For one thing, they decide whether you get your byline on gamers and features as opposed to less prominent stuff.

5. LemMan

LemMan Member

It's moments like this when I wish I was back in college...

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wonder how the volume of applications for these compares to, say, a top beat at a major paper.

7. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

Probably less since you need to be a college senior/junior or in grad school.

8. johann

johann Guest

As you can tell, I second everything said before me as, I too, was a part of the 2009 class.
    [/quote]

$5000 one summer and $0 another summer seems a bit extreme. Why didn't MLB pay internships in 2009? Was it the Great Recession?

9. DennisReynolds

DennisReynolds New Member

That's what they blamed it on, although I think it was more an excuse than anything. They reversed course after there was some backlash about it.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This program started, I think, 2 years after I graduated. And that is so disappointing, because this is a great opportunity.

11. DBerov

DBerov New Member

do the published articles have to be baseball related?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

No. They want hockey articles.

Draft saved Draft deleted