1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 MLB.com summer internships

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Bill Hill

Bill Hill New Member

2011 Summer Internships

Want an exciting summer covering Major League Baseball? MLB.com offers 30 reporting internships to aspiring sportswriters. These internships are designed to give associates the full range of experiences that come with covering a professional team. Each associate will work closely with a site reporter to give visitors to a team’s Web site all the information they need to follow the team from Opening Day to season’s end. Each Major League team will have one associate.

We are looking for talented college juniors and seniors, as well as graduate students, for our 2011 Summer Internship Program. If you are graduating in December 2010, you are still eligible. All applications must be postmarked by Nov. 30, 2010. We will make our selections by the end of January.

We expect each intern to spend a minimum of 10 weeks in the program, dates determined by a person’s college schedule. The more flexible an applicant is in terms of which Major League city he or she can work in, the better the person’s chances of being selected. Interns will be paid $500 per week.

Applicants should submit a resume, 5 to 10 published articles, a list of references and a 750-word essay on why MLB.com should select you? Your clips ideally will show a variety of work, including game stories, previews and features.

MLB.com also will be offering a limited number of internships for copy editors/producers.

Associates are responsible for arranging their own housing and transportation.

Please mail all internship applications to:

Bill Hill
    Assistant Managing Editor/MLB.com
    Attn: Internship Application
    14825 N. 97th Place
    Scottsdale, AZ 85260

If you have any questions, please contact Bill Hill at bill.hill@MLB.com and put the words “Internship Info” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.

MLB Advanced Media

MLB Advanced Media, L.P. (MLBAM) is the interactive media and Internet company of Major League Baseball. MLBAM manages the official league site, www.MLB.com, and the 30 club sites to create the most comprehensive resource for Major League Baseball on the Internet.

2. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I've had one of these in the past. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Definitely never got selected for one of these and I'm still bitter 5 years later. Not so much a question as it is a complaint. Carry on here.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'll take PMs too. It's a good program, you'll get a great experience on gamedays, and when the team is on the road, it's up to you what you do. They'll have some assignments for you, but the GA days are what you make of them for the most part.

5. ARose17

ARose17 Member

I would also be glad to take any PMs. My current employer told me specifically that my experience with this internship was what made my resume originally stand out to him, for what it's worth.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I wish your current employer had an open spot for me.

7. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

No worries. I believe I was rejected 2-3 times before getting it.

8. ARose17

ARose17 Member

When did you have the internship?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wow, $500 per week. Very generous like usual.

The good thing about this gig is, outside of one-time beat guys hired long ago, MLB.com has very little interest in paying for experience, so once you're in, you'll probably get a F/T gig. Just kiss up to Dinn Mann, or else.

10. AKap

AKap New Member

$500 a week is extremely generous for an internship. I would gladly use that money to pay rent and therefore work in any city, if I had any published articles and could therefore even be considered. Too bad I'm just getting started... maybe next year!

11. ARose17

ARose17 Member

I don't know about the "probably get the full time gig" part. I know several other former interns who were very good that didn't get hired for a full time. Of course, neither did I.

12. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Summer of 2009 (i.e. the unpaid summer).

Draft saved Draft deleted