1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What I should have added last night but didn't is that the members of Augusta National spend considerable energy in attempting to keep their club the same as it ever was, while those same members never stop tinkering with the Masters in the attempt to keep improving it. That's a very unusual mindset, or should I say sets?

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They believe they do it right in the first place. Sometimes they're wrong. But in terms of the actual operations end of a tournament, no one's done it better.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Can a writer still go in the bar with the players? I remember shooting the breeze over a beer with Roger Maltbie in '87 -- that year he wound up a shot out of the playoff with Mize, Norman and Ballesteros -- and it was just like two guys at your neighborhood watering hole.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Looks like the 13th fairway could be resident to the 'Mickelson Tree' in years to come.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/at-masters-mickelsons-tree-898361.html

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Doctorquant: The first year I covered the Masters, 1999, Lee Westwood, who'd contended and faded on Sunday, closed the joint I was in that night singing Monkees songs on the piano. Depends on the golfer, I guess. There IS a serious class reunion vibe to the Masters -- it's sort of a golf world convention in addition to its other functions.

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

But they're not sophisticated enough, in this day and age, to have wireless Internet access in the media center. That is an embarrassment.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Seriously? I don't know about that. Though if they don't, well, it doesn't seem like anyone there has any problems doing their job.

Augusta certainly wouldn't go the NCAA route and charge the media daily fees for the precious wireless.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's not a pain in the ass until you're the third guy from a news organization that was given two seats.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Who got a piece of Mickelson when he was at 12-1?

Some lines have him down at 6-1.

No way does Tiger go any higher than 9-1.......bookies will have a stroke if they put 12-1 money on him.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I'm sure it is. Would be at any sporting event that doesn't have room to spare. But I'm guessing those that do have seats don't lack for anything that helps them do the job.

As for Mickelson odds...6-1 sucks even for someone who looks unstoppable. It's still golf. Find a guy who can putt at 30-1.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

A couple of years ago, the wireless went down early in the tournament. Maybe on Wednesday. Whatever day it was, the club had the media center wired for ethernet access overnight. Ran flawlessly.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nicklaus 25th anniversary film on ESPN starting now.

Draft saved Draft deleted