1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Absent Seve in Masters hearts, minds and menu
    By Jim Slater (AFP) – 7 hours ago

AUGUSTA, Georgia — On the verge of a wide-open Masters that Seve Ballesteros would have loved, the Spanish golf legend was honored in the Champions Dinner menu selections of defending champion Phil Mickelson.

Ballesteros, a flamboyant five-time major winner who turns 54 on Saturday, is unable to travel because of a brain tumor, so he will miss the Tuesday night affair that Mickelson has dedicated to him with Spanish selections.

"Our thoughts and prayers are going to be with him," Mickelson said.

Mickelson's Spanish-themed menu includes seafood paella, beef tenderloin with Machango cheese, a Spanish omelette and Spanish Apple Pie.

"I wanted to honor him," Mickelson said. "I just sent him an e-mail saying that if he were able to come and feeling healthy enough to make this tournament, I would love to have the dinner be something that he would like, like a Spanish dish of paella or whatever he thought would be appropriate."

"It reminds me of when I was 10 years old watching Seve Ballesteros win in 1980 and saying to my mom, 'I want to win that tournament. I want to be like that,'" Mickelson said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g5XriRXbeKOvfnGPZtdcp-URXH_g?docId=CNG.bcf74a4d0a9bb29afe4e98cfe57a8c2d.fa1

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What a great gesture Mr. Mickelson.

3. The recap was on Golf Channel last week. It was awesome!
    Nicklaus didn't fall into that win. He seized it. He stepped forward and took it from the field.

I think this is a HUGE test for Tiger.
    Miss the cut and I think you can call it a career.
    Top ten or better, which I think he is capable of - even when he plays like crap - and you chalk it up to an off year and swing change.
    Make the cut and finished outside the top 20 ... He becomes a has-been, a guy capable of winning but whose best part of his career is behind him - ala David Duval and Johnny Miller.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Brandel Chamblee just said on Golf Channel that Watney is his pick. I droped $10 on Matt Kuchar at 15-1 when I was in Vegas six weeks ago. I figured he's going to win a major sooner or later and the odds weren't bad. But it wouldn't break my heart if Tiger won. I put a bet on him to win a major (and only one) this year.

5. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I wouldn't be shocked to see Hunter Mahan make a run. He's been T10 the last two years and has four T10s in his last six starts this season (including a T8 in Houston last weekend). He could fit the bill of the "just under the surface" guy to win (Zach Johnson, Trevor Immelman, Mike Weir).

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It is pretty amazing how a course that is so secretive is opening up to the masses, in a way. Those EA Sports guys had the run of the place for several days to map it out, literally, to fractions of an inch in order to make such an amazing game. And opening up tournament-day tickets to the public, even if it's just a few hundred a day, is a heckuva gesture.

As for McCord, he has said he wouldn't want to go back because he knows it would be a circus.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Rooting for Phil, again.

No clue who might be there Sunday.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The Masters app will have four or so streams of live video... and 9 if you've got an iPad. Ballsy.

As for El Tigre, no way he wins. But neither does he miss the cut. I'll say he finishes 25th.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There is a huge and weird difference between Augusta National Golf Club as an institution and the Masters as an institution. Considering the two institutions are the same people, it's really nuts, but it's the most striking impression I took away from the two Masters I covered.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He won't contend at Augusta until he learns how to hit a draw. He's a one-trick pony with the high fade. Has sort of an Americanized, college-type swing. Great player. But won't be a great player at Augusta.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Actually, in terms of the nuts and bolts of running a golf tournament, they wrote the book and had every clue about what they were doing. First major tournament to spread 72 holes over four days. First to ditch the 18-hole playoff and go sudden death. First to have mutiple scoreboards around the course. First to put gallery ropes up. They remain the only tournament to give the ticket-holders free parking. On and on and on.

The arguments people have had with them (no TV on the back nine, no 18-hole coverage either weekend day, etc. were things they could have done but chose not to. Of course the issue of not letting a black player in the tournament until Lee Elder or not having a female member until, oh, now, are conscious acts, not those of people who have no clue.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good post...though I remember parking for free as a ticketholder at a U.S. Open, among other tourneys.

Draft saved Draft deleted