1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Masters running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Apr 4, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Certainly up there, this coming on the heels of the EA game that has the place down to the exact placement of every pine needle. Add in that they've added one extra hour of coverage on ESPN this year on Thursday and Friday, plus two more DirecTV channels. Hopefully, we're on the verge of 18-hole coverage on Saturdays on CBS.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I've been waiting on Augusta National to do something like this. If they could do it at Wimbledon, surely they could do it at Augusta.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

They're getting a little frisky at Augusta. Next thing you know Gary McCord and Jack Whitaker will be back broadcasting.

4. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

It seems like it took them 40 years after Bobby Jones' death and 35 years after Clifford Roberts' passing for everyone affiliated with the tournament to finally admit that they were complete assholes who had no clue what they were doing with that place.

5. MileHigh

No kidding, though it's in McCord's contract that he not do the Masters, to keep the pressure off CBS to try to get him reinstated.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I would do anything to hear Ben Wright again at the 15th.

This is my favorite weekend of the year, and I stupidly booked a trip to Philadelphia with the Mrs. from Friday through Sunday. I'm going to attempt to DVR Friday-Sunday and avoid all possible sports shows until I return, and then watch it in order. I have no idea if I can pull this off, but it's worth a shot.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Watch the hour before the final round, when CBS shows an hour of the 1975 Masters. Ben Wright at 15, Henry Longhurst at 16, and Nicklaus, Weiskopf and Miller fighting it out.

8. MileHigh

ESPN has an hour look-back at the 1986 Masters on Wednesday at 4 p.m. MDT. Wright was on 15. Our friend Jim Nantz was on 16. Yes Sir Verne Lundquist was on 17. Pat Summerall and Ken Venturi were on 18. I'd LOVE it if that entire three-hour block could be replayed as it aired, but no such luck.

9. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Want a darkhorse? Nick Watney. He's played well there the last two seasons. Hits the ball high and can shape his irons.

Bubba Watson will also be a sexy pick, as will Dustin Johnson.

Hard to pick against Phil after his performance last week.

For the Euros, I like Ian Poulter and even young Rory McElroy.

Tiger has no chance. He's still an absolute wreck. Playing with zero confidence right now.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No chance? So if you drew him in a calcutta, you'd sell at any price? :)

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The fast, warm conditions makes the course play shorter which helps the big bombers who can then tear up the par 5s. The shorter players have won recently with the colder soggy conditions.

Tiger? The hope is running out fast and I just don't see him sustaining anything for 4 rounds, let alone 1. His worst club right now is his putter and Augusta demands putting more than anything. Just don't see him winning over the great field out there. (And I'm a huge Tiger homer.)

Phil winning at Houston over a strong field bodes well for him even though I dislike his facade. Its hard for me to acknowledge, but he's been 100 times the man than Tiger and I hope he wins this week.

Euros? Luke Donald could sneak in if he could just drive the ball straight like Fred Funk because he's the best effective putter on tour (makes more cumulative lengths of putts.)

12. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Yes.

And I'm pulling for the guy to break Jack's record. I just haven't seen anything to indicate he's back to form.

Draft saved Draft deleted