1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Fantasy Baseball league

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Guy_Incognito, Mar 26, 2011.

1. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Done and done.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK, I locked it at 10. I made a few changes in the settings, mostly to adjust for the smaller league, but please make sure to check them out, as well as the categories, before the draft. If you hate it, we can adjust later this afternoon.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

What's up with those random positions? MI, CI? Four OFs? Are we playing Rec League Softball here? Can't we just keep it normal?

4. Guy_Incognito

I switched it because we have so few teams, that we would be left very shallow with only traditional positions. What do the rest of you think?

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Ten teams isn't really a small league. It's about normal. Go to 12 and it's like football, where you're scraping the bottom of the barrel at the end of the draft and there's not a lot of depth on the waiver wire. With these huge rosters, we're going to end up in the same situation.
    I'd suggest cutting the OF positions to three (if you want to play more, that's what the utility spots are for) and maybe cut the bench spots to six or seven (they're at eight right now, which is a lot).

Also, is this a roto league or total points? I know it's head-to-head, but I can't tell how exactly the scoring is done within the matchups.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I agree with keeping it at three outfielders, but I'm good either way. Eight is a lot of bench spots.

I'm not a huge fan of losses as a category. Having that and wins puts too much of an emphasis on the team rather than the pitcher. I thought it was ok with more offensive categories than pitching. Made for interesting strategy. Also makes sense since we have more offensive spots than pitching spots.

7. Guy_Incognito

OK, there seems to be a consensus on fewer than 5 OFs & a smaller bench. I think if we go to 3 OFs it will be imbalanced because of the extra MI & CI positions - are you OK with those & maybe 4 OFs, or do you want to pare it all the way down? The bench slots, when split among pitcher & hitters I thought was OK, but I'm certainly fine with trimming it. What do the rest of you think about losses? I added it to make it harder to stream SPs, but am fine without it. We should decide soon.

8. Guy_Incognito

Also, is everyone cool with net saves & net steals?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Most leagues I've seen have both the MI/CI positions and three OF spots. It's never been a problem.
    I have no problem with having losses as a category. If you're trying to keep people from streaming pitchers, though, the six-move limit that's in place and a smaller bench are also good deterrents.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think given the prep time for this draft, which is limited, using net saves and net steals is going to bring in a major element of luck because people won't be as prepared to judge guys by their net totals in those categories.

As far as streaming, if you're going to have daily transactions, it's gonna happen. A shorter bench (say six) and the limit you have on roster moves are probably better ways to deal with it than losses.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Well, I can't access the draft. Hopefully the autopick gods are out to help me.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Can anyone let me know what pick I WAS and who I might have got with that?

Draft saved Draft deleted