1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Cy Young Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 29, 2011.

1. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I swear you guys talk about Jetes more than I do.

Jered Weaver. My Bad.

2. If I had a vote, I'd give the NL Cy to Kershaw, but I'd give serious consideration to Halladay for dominating while having to pitch his home games in a bandbox while Kershaw had home games in a big park. Halladay's ERA splits: 2.48 home, 2.23 road. Kershaw's: 1.69 home, 2.89 road.

In the end, Kershaw's 0.98 WHIP is what stands out most ... although Halladay's 1.04 WHIP is awesome, too.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know, which is why I did not offer a serious response. :)

Manky is best ignored outside of the Jeter thread. The only reason for that thread to exist is for him to post ridiculous crap and for us to respond. On a thread with a serious topic? There is just no reason to engage him.

4. outofplace

That really is the only reason to consider Halladay over Kershaw, their home ballparks. I still think you have to go with the better pitcher, and in 2011, that is Kershaw.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm as big a Brewers fanboy as anyone, and Axford has been fantastic this year, but to put him ahead of Ian Kennedy is silly.

You can make a case based that Kennedy's season in a hitter-friendly park was as good as Kershaw's season in one of the most pitcher-friendly parks in the bigs.

But it's not like Kershaw doesn't deserve it. I don't think any of the troika of Kershaw, Kennedy or Halladay are bad choices.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Only question for me is, does Verlander win the MVP as well as the Cy Young?

I have to give Halladay a very slight edge over Kershaw. The best way to compare apples to apples is look at the road numbers, and Halladay's was better. Kershaw had a fantastic year and I'm not knocking him.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How much have voters traditionally taken home ballpark into account? I know we brushed it off as far as Granderson goes. Is this just owed to the difference between "most valuable" and "most outstanding"?

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It looks close enough to me that I'd say you could reasonably justify Halladay, Lee and Kershaw in any order, with Kennedy a half-step behind.

9. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Should this come into account?

Kershaw lost 1 one run game.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/28963/clayton-kershaw

Halladay lost 4 one run games
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/3973/roy-halladay

It could go either way, I wouldn't be against Roy or Clayton winning the award. Lee should finish ahead of Kennedy in voting.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Should Valverde get a top three vote in the A.L. for 49-for-49?

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The two pitchers with the most wins will win but it won't be because of wins!

12. outofplace

Can't say I'm a big fan of using only half of the season to make the determination, but I can see your point.

Draft saved Draft deleted