1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Cy Young Awards

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Sep 29, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know we've touched on this elsewhere, but I don't think we had a Cy Young Award thread.

Obviously, the American League is easy. All due respect to Jered Weaver, Justin Verlander locked it up a while ago.

It seemed like lot of people assumed Roy Halladay was doing the same the NL Cy Young, but I think you have to give it to Clayton Kershaw. Kershaw has the lower ERA, lower WHIP, more wins and more strikeouts. Halladay had more complete games, but for the season, he only pitched a third of an inniing more.

Ian Kennedy was great, too, but not on their level. A very impressive third.

2. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Don't disagree on anything until your final sentence. How does Kennedy get the nod over Lee? Lee is an easy third in my eyes and he's not far at all behind the top two.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Derek Jeter--oh wait.

No debate at all in the AL, only minimally more in the NL b/c of the Phillies' duo and Kennedy's out-of-nowhere great season. Can't argue too much w/Kershaw though.

Wonder if pitchers have ever won the quadruple crown (wins/Ks/ERA/WHIP) in both leagues in the same season.

4. outofplace

I call brain cramp on my part on that one. Still don't think it would be any great injustice to put Kennedy third, but after looking at the numbers again,I'd have to agree with you on Lee.

5. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

Here we go:

AL
    1) Verlander. His season is a little overrated. Nine pitchers in the AL had ERAs under 3.00. Hitters are striking out more than ever, yet he could only strike out 250 batters? What kind of numbers would a prime Unit put up in 2011? Probably a 1.50 ERA and 450 Ks.
    2) Rivera. Could also go #1. He's overdue
    3) Jared Weaver.

NL
    1) Halladay
    2) Kershaw
    3) Axford

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh crap.

OOP, I'm just gonna go ahead and capjack this for the greater good. DON'T NEED A SALARY CAP GREAT PITCHERS IN SMALL MARKETS YANKEES WON'T EVEN GET A VOTE IN THE CY YOUNG!!!!

7. outofplace

'Bout time. TSP has been angling for your job.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Please explain why Halladay and not Kershaw? There really is only one reason and a bullshit one (Philly in playoffs, Dodgers not). Never mind that Kershaw had the most wins despite being on the shittier team.

Seriously, when someone wins the Triple Crown there is absolutely no justifiable reason to not put him first. You want wins, he's got it, you want all the other stats, he's got it.

9. outofplace

It's Manky. What do you expect? He couldn't even keep his promise to leave.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Relax dude. Just completing the shitstorming of this thread now that Manky showed up.

11. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I don't really pay that much attention to the west coast teams. I'm skeptical anyone can be as good as Halladay but you're right, Kershaw had a good year.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

2 questions
    Is Jetes eligible for this award?
    Who is Jared Weaver?

Draft saved Draft deleted