1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 CFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 30, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

JR, you ready to get rid of your Esky stuff yet?

2. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I said to myself, "Come on, Buono, show me you trust Lulay here." And then when BC kicked the field goal, it showed me he didn't.

The Riders are my favorite team but there's no team in the CFL I really dislike, so I can watch most games just to be entertained.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've put it away. That's all I will say about that

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Really like Lulay. He played college ball not far from here, so last November did a feature/season recap about him for our newspaper. Was impressed with what a polite guy he was, anything but your typical arrogant, spoiled pro athlete.

BC has a lot of new receivers, so may take time for them to jell. But they can be a contender in the west.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Terrible decision by Buono.

6. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

Just watched the WPG-HAM recap on CFL.ca. Buck Pierce took a shot tonight but didn't break. Maybe he can finally shake that injury jinx. Kinda stunned the Bombers won on the road but what they had on the recap looked good. (This said with full awareness that one game does not a season make.)

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Eskimos with the early 14-7 win after the first quarter over JR's Roughriders.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's 42-20 with about nine to go in the game for the fucking Eskimos

9. mb

mb Active Member

Blue Bombers FTW.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Did not see this coming, Eskimos STOMP the Roughriders 42-28!

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Argos head coach and GM Jim Barker goes after Torontonians who would rather support the NFL than the Boatmen.

I am part of that group he is talking to. I will be 46 soon and grew up a huge Argo fan in the 70s when my old man was a season ticketholder during the wild and crazy days at the Ex when the action in the stands - particularly if Hamilton (hi JR!) was in town - was more violent than anything on the field.

The Buffalo Bills have always marketed pretty aggressively in southern Ontario. During their Super Bowl years they sold something like 10,000 tickets a week in the area and I bet that number is much higher now, everything from season ticketholders (I know several) to bars running bus trips. I have been to probably two dozen Bills games over the last 20 years and only a handful of Argo games - the last when JR's kid came to town two years ago.

The CFL's stupid blackout rule didn't help either back in the day. I will watch JR's kid on TV or the Argos if nothing else is on but don't go out of my way to watch the CFL anymore.

But despite a blip during the Gretzky/Candy/Rocket Ismail days, the Argos move to the SkyDome/Rogers Centre has done little for the team. The place is a half-filled mausoleum (particularly when the roof is closed) that has no atmosphere. Toronto fans go to Bills games for the experience, there is no tailgating at Argo games and the place just seems so sterile and devoid of passion. Who knows what a move to smaller, outdoor venue - like the Als did - would do for the Argos.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Toronto/2011/07/06/18385541.html

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, I wonder the same. Much of the same things were said about Olympic Stadium in Montreal.

Does York University have a facility that could be made usable?

Just out of curiousity, what do Argos tickets at Rogers Centre cost these days?

Draft saved Draft deleted