1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011-2012 NHL Season

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's the way it goes. Sucks for the Blue Jackets. I know Tambellini was surprised.

Opens up a lot of interesting possibilities for the Oilers though. Trading back a spot or two to get D help (Murray) and pick up another pick and/or maybe a roster player would make a lot of sense.
    But this looks real interesting if they do pick Yakupov:

Eberle-RNH-Hall
    Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
    Smyth-Horcoff-Paajarvi
    Eager-Belanger-Jones

At the very least it solves some of their depth problems. Can never have too many elite forwards. Also gives them some very interesting pieces to trade like Omark, Paajarvi and Lander.

D is getting better, but still needs help:
    Whitney- Schultz
    Smid-Petry
    Sutton-Teubert

while Martin Marincin is close and he's going to be a monster and Oscar Klefbom (last year's other first rounder) has, from reports I've seen, had a pretty good year in Sweden. So he may be just a year away.

Goaltending may be their biggest concern, although Dubnyk proved the last couple of months that he should be given a chance to run with it next year. Would still like to see an upgrade over Khabibulin, someone who is not going to fall apart after Christmas. Emery maybe?

Crazy, though. Very dubious distinction.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

He's still jealous that Anaheim drafted second that year. Bobby Ryan is a very good player, but he's no Sidney Crosby.

Burke's act is so tired. He came to Toronto and made it quite clear that he no time for or interest in a five-year rebuilding plan. Well, he's just finished Year 4 and the team is no further ahead than it was when he arrived.

Moreover, Burke is still the face of the franchise and that tells you all you really need to know about the state of this club. I mean, shouldn't a player be the face of your franchise, especially the franchise that has more exposure and is worth more money than any other hockey team on the planet?

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

yes.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Outmuscle? Probably. Chara, Lucic and ... well ... anyway ...

Outgoaltend? You, Moddy and me would be better than what the Caps continue to put between the pipes. At the rate the paranoia and lack of productivity in that position is going, the Caps will be Philly South soon.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Red Wings just survived nearly 2 minutes of a 5-on-3 advantage, but still go into the first intermission trailing the Catfish Crew 1-0.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Two of the least penalized teams in the league and we have SIX penalties in the first period.

A good number of the iffy/soft variety (Gary Bettman must be proud from his seat in Bridgestone Arena).

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Didn't take long for redwing fan to start whining. I'm sure there will be Cindy comments to follow.

8. mb

mb Active Member

Pens working on blowing another big lead against Philadelphia. From 3-0 to 3-2 and Flyers are going on the PP w/9 minutes to play.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Brush up on your reading comprehension skills.

Find where it was one-sided complaining, mr. internet tough guy.

I'll wait.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You get Internet tough guy out of that?

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SWEET JESUS OF MERCY YES!

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, what a gack job that was.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.