1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011-12 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Re: 2011 Hot Stove Thread

And I believe the Sox picked after the Cubs is every one of those drafts except, possibly, 2004.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

FAusto Carmona? Gold Glove? I'm a huge loser fanboy of the Indians and he's not even in the top 10 of fielding pitchers. Masterson and Tomlin were much better.

That said, no one cares about pitchers Gold Gloves, I suppose. Mark Buerhle probably puts his extra buckshot and cans of Skoal in them.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I still don't get the impression the new owner has a ton of money.

And, if the City/State doesn't put up money towards upgrades at Wrigley, will he fund them, and what does that do to payroll?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/115835-LaCava-turns-down-the-O-s-Per-Rosenthal/page1
    http://www.camdenchat.com/2011/11/1/2531088/there-goes-the-lacavalry-os-offer-declined

That's a fanbase that has been beaten into submission. Now the Orioles can't even get a second-tier GM candidate.

[​IMG]

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He doesn't. The Cubs, however, generate a shit-ton of revenue. He's kept the payroll at $135 million the last two seasons and I see no reason to expect that to change.

In the worst case scenario, the payroll takes a temporary hit but stays the highest in the division.

6. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Gold glove winners:

Winners:

American League
    P: Mark Buerhle
    C: Matt Wieters
    1B: Adrian Gonzalez
    2B: Dustin Pedroia
    3B: Adrian Beltre
    SS: Erick Aybar
    LF: Alex Gordon
    CF: Jacoby Ellsbury
    RF: Nick Markakis

National League
    P: Clayton Kershaw
    C: Yadier Molina
    1B: Joey Votto
    2B: Brandon Phillips
    3B: Placido Polanco
    SS: Troy Tulowitzki
    LF: Gerardo Parra
    CF: Matt Kemp
    RF: Andre Ethier

It's a complete shame that Jeter didnt win it.....I demand a recount. /sarcasm

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So the Dodgers have three Gold Glove winners, will probably have the Cy Young and MVP winners, and the other Gold Glove winner had a 30-game hitting streak. The 2011 Dodgers who AREN'T Kershaw, Kemp and Ethier had to have been the worst 22-man roster in history, a bunch that could lose to the '62 Mets 7 of every 10 games.

8. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

Well, after Kemp their top HR hitter this year was Rod Barajas with 16. I think that says it all

9. Herbert Anchovy

After a decade and a half, it would be nice to have a competent Orioles organization around to put some pressure on the Yankees and Red Sox. If the Orioles will not even hire a qualified GM, they should just fold up shop and end the charade.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Quade out in Chicago.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/11/cubs-will-have-new-manager-for-2012.html

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

In which A_QB's head fucking explodes: Cards ask permission to interview Sandberg.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yes, yes, yes make this happen. I want to see the meathead Cubs fan contingent's heads explode.

Draft saved Draft deleted