1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011-12 Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bigpern23, Oct 31, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: 2011 Hot Stove Thread

Geez the lord and savior hasn't even been there a full week yet and you're already over-the-top with the impassioned defense.

I never said he deserves no credit for the two titles. He deserves all the criticism for the shitshow the Sox devolved into the last four seasons. Everything he did right at the beginning--drafting shrewdly and finding low-cost bargains in the free agent market--he did wrong at the end. If he was better at those parts of his job, there'd be need to sign John Lackey and Carl Crawford. The end. Maybe he'll be better for the Cubs, but I doubt it. If he is, I'll cop to being wrong. No big deal.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

You know me. That wasn't anywhere near over the top. I never called you and your ilk a douchebag. Or started whining like Liut.

So the entire buck stops with Theo? Lucchino and the owners deserve none of the blame?

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

He's never developed as a hitter. He's pull-happy and until he learns to use the considerable power he has gap-to-gap, he's going to be a guy you don't trust in key situations and a guy who is going to be a .260/25/80 guy rather than the .400 OBP, 30 HR, 30 SB guy he was for his first three to four seasons.

He's valuable and if he's healthy he's going to hit for power and be above average defensively. I just don't think he can play CF on that knee anymore. And his arm is a noodle, so don't expect much out of him as a LF.

He has the body of a 40 year old right now. At best, he becomes Jim Edmonds. At worst, he's done as an every day player.

The Indians couldn't take the chance at spending 8.5m on a guy who might not contribute anything.

One thing is for sure: the Indians just pissed off a bunch of women in Ohio.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. derwood

derwood Active Member

CC staying with Yankees.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Why was Punto not included on the earlier list of free agents?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm stunned he didn't opt out. Stunned.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That'd be on Hoyer. Theo's not the GM. /whatevercolorsarcasmis

I don't doubt for a second that he deserves a large share of the blame for Boston's FA failures. I still think he can do what the Cubs need him to do.

7 years for Fielder would be way too much. 5 would make a ton of sense for the Cubs, even at a high yearly salary. He's not Ryan Howard, he legitimately is an elite hitter.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They only listed the good ones?

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Theo took his marbles, dressed up like a gorilla and went home six years ago tonight. When he returned, he had, according to the Boston Herald, "...roughly the same powers, authority and autonomy" as when he stomped off. (I would put a link here, but someone might laugh at me) He wanted Lucchino, a renowned know-it-all, to butt out. Why would Lucchino have started butting in after Theo's ways worked in 2007, when his drafts began harvesting like crazy at the big league level? Ellsbury was brilliant down the stretch, Buchholz threw a no-hitter, Pedroia won the Rookie of the Year, Papelbon was incredible at closer, Lester came back from cancer to win the deciding game of the World Series.

So yeah. The buck stops with Theo. We'll see over the next few years if he can regain the magic touch, or if there were other factors at work the last few years in Boston. Or if the magic touch is gone.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can't wait until four seasons averaging 92 wins (in baseball's toughest division) is what counts as a shit show for the Cubs.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You're going to get the Hot Stove thread locked on Page 1, Liut? Really?

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

When you construct a toxic mix of players ill-suited for Boston--yeah, it's a shitshow.

And you keep assuming 92 wins will be enough in the Central. Sure, it has been in recent years. But now that the Pirates might be getting their act together, the competition is getting tougher. The Astros are a true shitshow, but the Cubs have a lot of ground to make up to get to where the Brewers and Cardinals are, organizationally speaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted