1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 WTA/ ATP tennis running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hidden order, Jan 14, 2010.

1. hidden order

hidden order Member

And in the WNBA…

It's amazing that so many parents keep funneling their daughters into basketball and soccer when the Forbes money lists are full of tennis players year after year. But say if Candace Parker’s dad put a tennis racket in her hand instead of a basketball… she might be a lot richer and American tennis would be better off. Meanwhile Sharapova just signed what may be largest endorsement deal in women’s sports history, $70 million over eight years with Nike. Parker’s exactly one year older to the day, more athletic and similarly attractive, but she'd be lucky to get a 1/10th of that $ over the course of her entire career.

Off the top of my head I can’t think of another sport where women can make as much as men. (To a limited extent, equal pay at slams only not tour events, etc.) Maybe figure skating? Track and field? I don’t know enough about those to say.

And over in Europe future grand slam champions are being introduced to tennis while still in diapers:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted