1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Series Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The difference this time, though, is the no-DH rule in NL parks. The Rangers will have to play Vlad in rightfield, and there's a reason why he's the DH. That pushes Cruz or Murphy out of the lineup. Two minuses right there. The Giants' pitchers are also better-equipped to bat, even if it's just a sac bunt needed. And Lee won't be pitching in Games 6 and 7.

This is the first time since 2002 that the NL has had home field advantage.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Giants in 6.

Pitching beats good hitting and the Giants starters, including Sanchez (meltdown and all) are better. Plus, you think Perez has the stones to throw that pitch to Howard in that situation? Or even go through Polanco/Utley/Howard in the bottom of the 9th?

The Giants are situated well. They hit power pitchers better than junkballers. Rangers are power arms. Rangers are free swingers, Giants pitchers feast on those kinds of hitters. Giants have power arms from the right and left in the bullpen. Hamilton/Vlad/Cruz, doesn't matter. And Bengie will not hit a bomb against the Giants.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm tired of hearing about how this series is going to prove baseball is dead and how nobody watches the Series. The ratings drop more often than not, except for when an iconic franchise is trying to snap a generations-long championship drought. And the decline has been consistent since the strike. It doesn't matter who plays. The ratings are probably going to be lower than a year ago. The momentous nature of the NFL playoffs make it a bigger TV draw. That and the fact football fans are idiots. :D :D :D

1995 (Braves-Indians): 19.5
    1996 (Yankees-Braves): 17.4
    1997 (Marlins-Indians): 16.7
    1998 (Yankees-Padres): 14.1
    1999 (Yankees-Braves): 16.0
    2000 (Yankees-Mets): 12.4
    2001 (DBacks-Yankees): 15.7
    2002 (Angels-Giants): 11.9
    2003 (Marlins-Yankees): 12.8
    2004 (Red Sox-Cardinals): 15.8
    2005 (White Sox-Astros): 11.1
    2006 (Cardinals-Tigers): 10.1
    2007 (Red Sox-Rockies): 10.6
    2008 (Phillies-Rays): 8.4
    2009 (Yankees-Phillies): 11.7

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/10/22/yankees-eliminated-foxs-world-series-ratings-hopes-go-with-them/69318

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good post, BYH. I'm wondering how this series will rank myself and I'm hoping it does well. DFW is the No. 5 market in the US and San Fran-Oakland-San Jose is No. 6. Plus you might get some curious eyes looking at a WS that doesn't involve the Yanks for once.

I thought this might be the lowest-rated Series ever, but I'm having second thoughts.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

You might have noticed steve there were 5 years when the Yankees were not in the series and only one --- Red Sox-Cards, two BIG baseball towns -- did better ratings than when the Yankees were in.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I did. That's what originally led me to think we might be headed for the lowest WS ever. Now that I see that 8.4 for the Phils-Rays, I don't think it will be THAT low. I'm going to guess 10.5-11.0.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Trend solidly down -- and this isn't going to help.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So, you are admitting that the Yankees bought the World Series last year. Thank you.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

I don't see where I said that. I said you can't whine about the Yankees buying the World Series this year and this is the 9th time in 10 years they haven't won it.

Then again, I have never said the Yankees didn't buy the World Series. All I've said is that's the system and if you don't like it, quit whining and go back to cuddling with your Big Ben teddy bear.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Truly comical given that most of the time, all you do on NFL threads is whine about everything.

I'm saying the NFL system is better. The fact that a World Series can be bought is evidence of that. If you don't understand that, well, that's just more proof that you can't see past your New Yorker wannabe self.

Now, since you brought it up here, do you want to keep dragging this all over the World Series thread? There is a salary cap thread that would seem to be the more appropriate forum. I'd much rather talk about actual on-field baseball here.

Draft saved Draft deleted