1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Series Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 24, 2010.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

We're seeing the difference in how the sports are sold. The Super Bowl has become an Event, no matter who is playing. In baseball, it seems like it has to be the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers or it doesn't count to a lot of folks, which is their loss.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Super Bowl is also a single-day event, which makes it a completely different animal than the World Series, Stanley Cup or NBA Finals.

It doesn't help that MLB doesn't seem interested in promoting any teams other than the Yankees and the Red Sox.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Too bad the Fox couldn't sell it as Nolan Ryan vs. Barry Bonds. Now THAT would sell tickets.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

All this shit about the NFL being more popular than baseball is pointless. There's no way to win the argument. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

An NFL team plays 16 games and only eight at home. Baseball teams play 10 times as many games. Baseball games are played at night and compete with primetime TV shows. The majority of NFL games are played on Sunday afternoons, when people are much more likely to be lounging on the sofa. My point is simple. There are lots of reasons that football ratings are higher than baseball ratings. Perhaps popularity is one factor. But it's silly to pretend it's all black and white.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It would be funny if the Giants won after not being able to do it with Bonds, although they did colossally shit the bed in 2002.

Go Giants.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think they are specifically starting it on a Wednesday nowadays so that they will only have one weekend opposite football rather than two. The Series ALWAYS started on Saturday night back in the day.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They start the games way too late... Granted, I lived on the west coast for most of my childhood, but I never missed a game from age 4 on and I only remember a few of those being late at all.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They don't start it on Saturday anymore because that is a TV dead zone. I'm looking forward to seeing long shadows at a World Series again.

9. Steak Snabler

Heard a good trivia question today: Who was the last AL West champion before the Rangers to go to the World Series?

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Angels, 2002?

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

No AL West champ has played in the Wolrd Series since the wild card was introduced. Angels were wild card in 2002 (A's won the division at 103-59).

Last Al West champ in WS was Twins in 1991

12. Steak Snabler

Correct

Draft saved Draft deleted