1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Series Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Have at it folks.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

As unintriguing as the match-up may sound, this is gearing up to be a great series. I cannot wait to see these two teams tear it up.

It's probably a no-brainer that Lee and Lincecum will start this off for their respective teams, and gosh what a duel that'll be.

I got the Rangers winning it in six games.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Unfortunately nobody is going to watch this and the ratings will be dismal and the "NFL is God" crowd around here will wax poetic about how great the ratings were for the Super Bowl by comparison..... ::)

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the idiots who can't appreciate a Cliff Lee-Tim Lincecum opener as well as a series of teams with contrasting styles -- the Rangers pummel people, the Giants pitch but don't hit much -- deserve to be drooling over a handful of mediocre NFL games.

And poor OOP can't whine about the big bad Yankees buying the World Series again... the 9th time in 10 years they haven't won it.

Should be a real fun Series, for those of us who appreciate the sport of baseball without regard to who spends how much.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

How many off days has MLB given us before Game 1?

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Game 1 is Wednesday.

After Lee-Lincecum, though, I don't think the Rangers' rotation matches up with San Francisco's.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are examples in recent memory, but I can't think of a championship series/game that didn't have a dominant personality of the Manning/Kobe/Jeter/Crosby mold in it. Rather, we have two teams that seem to be far more than the sum of their parts. Should make a great series.
    How many players on either side have started a World Series game before?

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The only players with previous WS experience.

Texas: Bengie Molina (ironically against the Giants)
    San Francisco: Aaron Rowand. Edgar Renteria. Jeremy Affeldt. Javier Lopez.

I think that's all of them.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Don't forget Lee, who won two WS starts last year with the Phillies.

Juan Uribe also went to the WS with the White Sox in 2005, and Pat Burrell went with the Phils in 2008.

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Will San Francisco pitch around Josh Hamilton?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Let me get back to you after I figure out each team's BAPIP, VAPIP, MORP, GORP and BINFOLLOW FACTOR. Can't enjoy the baseball without a slide rule. I'll use all these stats and preprint scoresheets for each game that will be accurate within 1.2 pitches depending on whether Lincecum comes within a fopwallow of his ERA+

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the ratings for this series will show the devoted salary cap fans why there shouldn't be one in baseball. This may be the lowest-rated series in history.

That said, who the hell cares? As a baseball devotee and junkie, this series is wonderful! Like everyone else pointed out, Lee vs. Lincecum? Holy crap. That first game should be great. Both lineups have offensive hot spots.

It has potential to be a seven-game classic. If you prefer a mediocre NFL game over this, then you don't know what you're missing. I think we've got a winner here.

Draft saved Draft deleted