1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Series of Poker running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jun 3, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Down to 15 - the Grinder still hanging on.

2. zagoshe

That is a great breakdown, of course it would fit much better on the British Open thread.......

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sorry. It's hot and it's late.

4. zagoshe

November Nine is set, Mizrachi is the biggest name left and he is 7th in chips:

Seat 1: Jason Senti — 7,625,000
    Seat 2: Joseph Cheong — 23,525,000
    Seat 3: John Dolan — 46,250,000
    Seat 4: Jonathan Duhamel — 65,975,000
    Seat 5: Michael Mizrachi — 14,450,000
    Seat 6: Matthew Jarvis — 16,700,000
    Seat 7: John Racener — 19,050,000
    Seat 8: Filippo Candio — 16,400,000
    Seat 9: Soi Nguyen — 9,650,000

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

If Mizrachi finishes in 1st or 2nd place, he would become the all time tournament poker earnings leader, passing Phil Ivey. He's currently 14th all time. If he finishes in 3rd place, he'd be 2nd place all time in tournament earnings. It should be noted that he's been heavily backed throughout this world series and probably owes at least half of his earnings to backers. Winning the $50k event and the $10k main event in the same year would be epic.

6. zagoshe

OK, here is my edition of "when cards are running bad...."

What do you do when you go through the inevitible stretch of "running bad"? How do you handle it?

I'm going through it right now - I can't win a hand to save my life and it is getting frustrating. It has been a while through I've went through a stretch like this so I am looking for advice.

I'm thinking about taking a few weeks or even a month off and coming back just to sort of regroup but I don't know if that is the right approach either.

I'm not playing bad yet, I'm still playing the right hands, raising the right hands, etc., etc. - so I'm not on tilt YET and I'm not pressing YET which are things that tend to happn when you are running bad.

And as an aside, I thought of this board last week when I lost with A-A three times in 15 hands. In my head I was thinking "you see, had I just folded preflop I'd have saved $600!!!!" LOL

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Everyone goes card-dead for periods. I did in a tournament on Saturday for a long stretch. I always try to remember the three "P"illars of Poker: Patience, Poise, Position.

When the cards are bad, sometimes you can pick up a pot or two with poise or position -- particularly the latter.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

There's nothign wrong with just taking a break from playing for a few days or weeks if you think you might tilt.

If you are getting frustrated with being card dead during a single cash session, I like to just get up from the table and go walk around. Sort of hit the reset button. Otherwise it's easy to stay feeling like you should liven things up with putting on big bluffs or playing too loose preflop because you're bored.

Obviously you can't do that in a tourney.

9. zagoshe

If only it were on session. I haven't gone through this for a while so I am just trying to work my way through it.

And card dead would be nice, too, that would mean I'd just get my blood sucked and have small losses -- I'm getting a shitload of second best and or flopping the nuts only to be sucked out on and that is a recipe for big losses.

Again, I know it is part of it and everyone goes through it so I'm not too concerned yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted