1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Series of Poker running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Jun 3, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

UM, just in case you missed it the World Series of Poker got underway last week.

Which leads me to this question -- has the WSOP and televised poker in general finally and officially jumped the shark?

It seems like this event opens each year with less and less fanfare or buzz.
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I used to LOVE watching poker on TV. Can't remember the last time I did, though. The year Gold won it, I bought the PPV package for like $25 and watched from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m.
  3. TheSportsDish

TheSportsDish New Member

Yeah it might be one of those things we look back on in 20 years as just a short phenomenon.

I think the problem is that the WS is a crapshoot. The biggest names rarely make it to the final table. I know there was huge buzz last year when Ivy reached, but we need that every year and it will never happen.

Sports needs superstars to survive, WS of poker just doesn't give them to us on a regular basis.
  4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Michael Mizrachi won $1.56 million the other night. He needs it since he owes the IRS $340K and had his house foreclosed in May.
  5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I'd be interested to see how much of that $1.56 mil he actually gets to keep, because I'm sure he had a large percentage of his buy-in staked by other players. I wouldn't be shocked after taxes and the cuts that his stakers take, he doesn't see a dime of the money.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Was that the $50k mixed game?
  7. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Yes, and as I suspected, Patrik Antonius had 50% of both Mizrachi brothers, who both made the final table:

http://www.pokerroad.com/video/blogfessional/195 (warning, annoying video blog)
  8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The high water mark for poker as a pop culture fad is past, but I don't think that means it jumped the shark.
    There are still millions of people in the U.S. playing poker, watching poker and reading about poker.
    There's no way it could maintain it's steep rise in public interest, but as NASCAR is finding out and even the NFL will find out some day - there is always a saturation point.
  9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Poker boom started with the Travel Channel's initial use of pocket cam that turned the WPT telecasts into a phenomenon. That, in turn, made the WSOP a phenomenon.

Problem is, poker is still quite popular but now so many games are on TV -- Poker After Dark, High Stakes Poker, Heartland Poker Tour, etc.

Another problem is that the WPT tried to capitalize on its boom and went from Travel Channel to Game Show Network to its current home on FoxSports. And it also went from showing the full two-hour final table show of a tournament to showing one hour a week over two weeks.

While every system (cable, Dish, DirecTV) has Travel Channel on its normal tier of programming, in a lot of places the FoxSportsNetwork requires a sports tier addition to the programming. I still record it in my DVR and eventually watch it, but I honestly have no idea when it's actually on because it's not on the same day and time any more.

I would think that for the World Poker Tour to return to more prominence it has to get back to a full national network, not buried and hard to find on FoxSportsNet.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. I find the WSOP coverage on ESPN too hard to follow, hopping from table to table all the time. And at least I knew it was on when WPT was affiliated with Travel Channel or GSN.
  11. And I really lose interest in these hour-long segments of WPT on foxsports. If I care enough to sit down and watch a final table, I will watch it for the two hours. I want to know who won, not have to wonder when part two is airing. It works in a cash game setting like High Stakes, not with a tournament. That's part of why I liked it when they televised the events leading up to the main event. I sit down for an hour, and I see the winner.
  12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's exactly it. When poker was biggest, every telecast ended with a winner with the exception of the 10 weeks or so of the Main Event, and that was darn good and worthwhile viewing in its own right.

I just don't care to watch an hour of WPT, only to be left with three players and a week of waiting to find out who won.
Draft saved Draft deleted