1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Cup Running Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 19, 2010.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Screw that. I want El Tri to go 0-for South Africa. I fear they'll advance in that weak group, but I'm honestly hoping for South Africa and Uruguay to advance in Group A.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Of course not. It's part of the, uh, um... charm... of the event.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I could easily see them going 1-1-1. Or even 0-1-2.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. They should make round two, but I wouldn't count on it, and anything beyond that would be gravy.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Slovenia and Algeria really aren't very good.

Put it this way: Two of Algeria's better players plied their trade this year for Portsmouth.

But then again, it's often not been the top-notch teams that the USA has struggled with. I'm sure the true USA fans here would have no trouble foreseeing a draw -- or even a win -- against England followed by a draw and a defeat in the two "easy" games.

I still say approach the Ivory Coast with caution. They were the hot outsider pick four years ago as well, and they got stuck in a difficult group and were eliminated with a game to spare. Drogba is a game-changer, though, no question.

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Here's a 3-minute Nike ad that will apparently air during Saturday's Champions League final:

Good stuff, including some nice cameos.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

If Spain doesn't win it this year, they'll never win it. They have the most talented team in the field.

8. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

You can take it to the bank South Africa will advance. FIFA (Blatter) will make sure of that somehow. Uruguay is the strongest team in the group, so I think the Mexicans will have a tough go.

Naturally my heart and soul is USA all the way. My head tells me that's not realistic, so I think the Dutch will do well. They've got the ability/players to score goals. As long as their defense holds up they could do well.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://theunlikelyfan.blogspot.com/

World Cup teams equated to U.S. sports teams.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Really cool stuff. Thanks for posting.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

That's pretty good

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What I'm looking forward to:

1. England's inevitable ouster, which will include an Ed Rooney-type meltdown by Wayne Rooney.

2. Italy leading the tournament in dives and faked injuries.

3. An African nation make the quarters or beyond. I hope it's Cameroon. Loved The Indomintable Lions since 1990.

4. The every-other-Cup trend continuing for the United States. I'll predict three ugly group games, but a 2-1 record. Beyond that, it will all depend on matchups.

5. Honduras providing some entertaining soccer. They won't advance, but they'll play as spirited as anyone. Think 1982.

6. South Africa beating Mexico but peaking right then and there.

Draft saved Draft deleted