1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 World Cup Running Thread.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 19, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

With the World Cup starting shortly and SI and ESPN out with their World Cup issues figured I would get the discussion started.

Predictions?

I am rooting for Brazil but think Spain will be taking home the Cup this year.

BTW - great work by Grant Wahl in SI on setting stage.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Got a feeling ... the Dutch.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Would love to see the Dutch do it. Not sure they're strong enough at the back, but they definitely have a shot.

I would pick Argentina if they were coached by someone with half a brain. Maradona kills their chances. Inter fanboi rant -- I can't believe he left Cambiasso and Zanetti off the roster.

At the risk of sounding like Master of the Obvious, I lean toward Spain or Brazil, but wouldn't be surprised if Holland or Italy won it.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I have no opinion on who will win. But I will say that for four years I've been eagerly awaiting the monthlong parade of freaks known as World Cup fans.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I'm pulling for Mexico, USA and Germany.
    The Germans got news that stud captain Michael Ballack will likely miss the Cup after tearing ligaments.
    That's gotta hurt after they made the finals and semis in the past two Cups.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Boom started the World Cup thread? That might be the biggest upset of the entire Cup, though Boom is cool for doing so.

I think its going to be wide open. Until it suffered its injuries, I thought England had a shot because Capello is the first decent manager they've had since Robson. But now I'm not so sure.

It might just be Spain's time. They're long overdue.

I think there's going to be a lot of weirdness. European teams almost always win in European venues, South American teams almost always win in the Americas. The only time the Cup wasn't in either (2002) you had oddballs like South Korea and Turkey challenging for the Cup. Maybe Ivory Coast, Ghana or Nigeria will make a run?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I agree there could be some weirdness. Also, it will be played in semi-winter conditions, which could make it interesting.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My thoughts, exactly.

Not a huge soccer fan, but love the World Cup.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

There'll be an African team in at least the quarterfinals, if not the semis. FIFA will make sure of that. I'd put my money on Ghana. The Ivory Coast is strong, but being in a group with Portugal and Brazil will hurt. Even if they survive, they'll be second-round prey, quite possibly for Spain. Ghana gets a relatively easier group and could get England or the USA in the second round.

(If I were a little bolder, I might tip Germany not to get out of the first round ... I might yet do that, but their record is incredibly good.)

As my second team, I'd love to see Holland win, but they won't. They always, always, always self-destruct. Just remember how brilliant they were at Euro 08, and then they went out in the quarters.

England? Not gonna happen. Something always gets in the way. And while the Portsmouth fan side of me enjoyed watching Lampard horribly miss a penalty in the FA Cup final, the England fan side of me cringed more than a little.

Spain? Gonna have to see it to believe it, even after they won Euro 08.

Which leaves ... Brazil. As always.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Which match will generate the first riots/stampedes/skinhead beatings and kickings?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Where does the USA end up?

Draft saved Draft deleted