1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Summer Movie Season

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 6, 2010.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just sucks.

I'm planning on filing a story on deadline by noon tomorrow, then heading over to the local AMC to catch Iron Man 2. I went onto a website for movie times, and noticed they had a calendar for the summer movie season.

Wow.

There's NOTHING.

I might — huge emphasis on might — see Robin Hood, may see the Angelina Jolie flick (Salt), but there is truly nothing else on there that piques interest. Where are the big blockbuster popcorn action flicks? Jesus, even Will Smith usually has something out there during the summer. Not this year. No franchise movies (except for another Twilight), no Clooney, no Pitt. There may be a comedy or two that might be decent, but nothing that screams "You must see this!"

Is anybody hearing anything about this long list of schlock that at least lends a faint glimmer of hope for an entertaining summer in AC'd comfort, munching on overpriced popcorn?

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I had high hopes for Jonah Hex, one of my favorite comics from childhood. But the trailer makes me not want to see it at all. Instead of being a Western, it looks like an action movie that just happens to kind of be set in the old West.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Isn't Harry Potter VII, Part I due this summer??

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Nope. November. I was looking for that, could've sworn it was a summer release.

EDIT: btw, here's the summer lineup. Filled with stuff I might rent later on DVD, but not a whole lot to get me to the theater.
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/summer_movies/

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

With the lack of competition, I wonder if Iron Man 2 can make a run at Avatar's box office record...

Eh, looking at the schedule, Shrek 4 and Toy Story 3 will eat up a lot of screens and take away some of Iron Man's audience.

Also: MacGruber getting shockingly strong reviews:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/macGruber/

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Grown Ups looks like your typical adults refusing to grow up but then find a way to grow up movie and I'm down with that. Don't know if I'll be seeing it in theaters but I'm definitely down.

Salt has had me intrigued for a long time now. Can't wait to see that.

Also gonna see Iron Man 2 (Probably Saturday) but, yeah, you're right. There's not much here.

Oh, and depending on the trailer, I might see The Other Guys. I like the guys in the cast.

7. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Toy Story 3 will get top billing in our household.

It is really the only movie I am looking forward to this summer. So are my two little ones. They cannot wait.

Summer movie time just ain't what it used to be.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

After perusing last Sunday's extensive NYT preview of the summer movie
    season, saw I was going to have a lot more time than usual to explore
    worthwhile pursuits.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

I was going over the list month-by-month this morning and I had to look it over a few times before I realized that this summer definitely feels like it's missing that really big tentpole movie that almost EVERYONE wants to see or will be talking about.

Granted, there are plenty that I'll want to see, but nothing I'm super excited about.

Instead, it's 2011 that's going to be crazy: http://www.themovieinsider.com/movie-releases/-/2011/

Some highlights include Hangover 2, Pirates of the Caribbean, Transformers 3, Harry Potter and the list goes on. It seems like this summer is more of a AAA season to next year's majors.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm getting old waiting for Sin City II.

Know it's in the pipeline, but not soon enough.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The A-Team is not a big time blow em up?

I also think the Karate Kid will pretty much rule the summer.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have a friend who has seen Macgruber who said it's about 1,000,000 times funnier than anyone would ever think.

Draft saved Draft deleted