1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 SJ.com March Madness Bracket Challenge

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Suicide Squeezer, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why did I take Villanova? I'm not sure. I don't think I watched them play a game this entire season.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

See, this is why I don't do this for money...

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Kansas actually made it easy to win money this year. Look at the SportsJournalists.com bracket for example. I know it is not a money bracket, but it mimics what most of this year's brackets looks like.

Nearly two thirds of the contestants chose Kansas to win the national title (40 out of 61). So even if the Jayhawks won the title, you still only realistically stood a 1/40 chance of winning the SportsJournalists.com bracket. That's a .025 percent chance of getting bragging rights in your signature.

But, if you picked another top-8 team, say, Ohio State - a very solid two seed, and a likely one seed if Evan Turner weren't injured earlier this season, your chances increase dramatically.

The people who picked Ohio State have a 1/2 chance of winning their bracket if the Buckeyes win (because we all know to win the bracket, you gotta get your 32 points from the final game). So by picking Ohio State the odds would increase by more than 49 percent in your favor.

Odds would also increase if you picked, Syracuse, Duke, Kansas State, West Virginia and even Kentucky (although on a smaller scale).

Of course you could argue Kansas is a great team. But are they 40 or 49 percent better than Ohio State? No.

Moreover, by picking a less-likely National Champion such as Ohio State over Kansas. You really only have to score one upset. That upset is a No.2 seed winning. But to win your bracket with Kansas you have to beat everyone else. Which means sustaining some early runs in the first to rounds and getting some solid picks. It's much harder to predict which team is going to play like Ohio and which team is going to play like Oakland University. Especially when you have to do it three or four times.

Of course, for a smaller bracket this can work in your favor. Let the others mess up and just choose higher seeds. Take someone like Kentucky, the consensus No.2 choice in most brackets and hope Kansas gets knocked off like they did. Boom, easy money in both scenarios.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I didn't pick the Beakers out of principle. If things fall right, I could cash in all three of my $5 brackets because of it. Not to mention, winning the whole taco on here.

Ali bumiye! Ali bumiye!

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Updated standings...

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm not in last?

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Freakin 'Cuse

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The good news is I moved up 15 places thanks to last night.

The bad news is I can get a maximum amount of points tonight of zero.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey. There are two people who will finish worse than I will... life is GOOD FOR THE GUS JOHNSONS!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Holy schnikes! Heading into the regional finals I'm in first place!
    Let's go But-ler (clap-clap-clapclapclap). Oh yeah, and Duke and Kentucky too.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

An obligatory update...

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

From bottom of the barrel to Top 10, suck on that Kentucky

Draft saved Draft deleted