1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 sj.com college football poll -- FINAL POLL now POSTED!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Aug 23, 2010.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Re: 2010 SportsJournalists.com college football poll

Just sent, Coco. Please PM me if you didn't get it.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Making mine up now

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

We're tallying them up, with 24 of 29 ballots in. At 11:25 CDT, still need slappy4428, beanpole, sportsguydave, Dragon Steamboat, TrooperBari.

UPDATE: Sending out the Bat signal for slappy4228, sportsguydave, Dragon Steamboat.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

You should have my ballot, chief.

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

I'm in

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is slappy being late with his ballot some kind of performance art?

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So does slappy get a strike against him if he misses the poll? Or is he safe since he is poll tabulator emeritus? :D

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I would count it as a strike... I got so wrapped up in tabulating the state football poll that I forgot about this one...
    Will send shortly...

9. I Should Coco

Another year, another round of cupcakes

By I SHOULD COCO
    Famed cupcake consumer

We know they’re not good for us. We keep on eating ’em. And sometimes we regret it.

That’s right, the dainty, delicious cupcake can occasionally be bad for your health.

Just ask Ole Miss and Kansas.

Quite a few Division I, er, FBS teams were craving cupcakes in the opening week of the 2010 season, and most found them delicious. Of the 78 games involving FBS teams this past weekend, 39 of them involved a Division I-AA/FCS opponent.

While most of those matchups produced the expected 34-3, 48-7 and 52-17 cakewalks, two FCS teams got more than a big payday for their efforts.

In Lawrence, the Jayhawks and their new coach, Turner Gill, found themselves in an ugly, defensive slugfest with North Dakota State. The Bison gained only 168 yards in the game, but won a battle of field goal kickers, 6-3.

On the other hand, Jacksonville State and Mississippi drove up and down the field all afternoon, but the result was the same -- an upset by the I-AA squad. The non-SEC Gamecocks converted a fourth-down-and ballgame heave in the second overtime, then saw Calvin Middleton grab the football amid a mass of humanity for the conversion for a 49-48 win.

"Without a doubt, it's the worst loss of my career," Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt told the Associated Press after the Ohio Valley Conference visitors rallied from a 31-10 halftime deficit.

That’s the thing with cupcakes. Like a certain brand of beer, they usually taste great and are less filling than, say, the meat of a football schedule. But sometimes you’re feeling the heat from some Appalachian State-sized heartburn.

We all know not every game can be, say, Boise State-Virginia Tech or Penn State-Alabama in the season’s opening weeks. Large stadiums need to be filled, and bloated athletic department budgets need to be funded.

So for a six-figure guarantee, more FCS schools will be on the schedule this weekend -- 26 of ’em, as a matter of fact. Maybe a couple of them will have a shot at winning (I’m looking at you, Montana State).

Enjoy some sugary carbs this weekend ... and this week’s SportsJournalists.com football poll:

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    WEEK ONE — 9/7/10

RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last week
    1. Alabama (19) 663 1
    2. Ohio St. (2) 618 2
    3. Boise St. (5) 616 3
    4. Texas (1) 556 4
    5. Texas Christian 548 6
    6. Florida 493 5
    7. Iowa 476 7
    8. Oregon 455 11
    9. Nebraska 441 9
    10. Oklahoma 411 10
    11. Wisconsin 381 12
    12. Miami (Fla.) 368 13
    13. Virginia Tech 346 8
    14. Georgia Tech 289 16
    15. Penn St. 285 15
    16. Louisiana St. 221 17
    17. Arkansas 211 19
    18. Florida St. 199 21
    19. Utah 190 24
    20. Southern Cal 168 20
    21. Georgia 129 25t
    22. Auburn 105 —
    23. West Virginia 91 25t
    24. Pittsburgh 71 14
    25. South Carolina 60 —

Also receiving votes: North Carolina 52, Oregon St. 44, BYU 37, Stanford 29, Oklahoma St. 28, Houston 24, Michigan 24, Notre Dame 22, Arizona 20, Missouri 16, Cincinnati 15, Kansas St. 15, Northwestern 13, Minnesota 10, Fresno St. 9, Texas Tech 7, Clemson 4, Maryland 2, Central Michigan 2, Nevada 1, Temple 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee:
    I Should Coco (tabulator), KY Sportswriter, Della9250, McNuggets Man, Crusoes, Joe Schmoe, Evil ... Thy Name is Orville Redenbacher, Mystery Meat II, Huggy, Ben Hecht, WS, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Oz, Layman, Wendell Gee, Hank Scorpio, TrooperBari, Precious Roy, Boom 70, beanpole, Madhavok, slappy4428, dparker85, Songbird, Suicide Squeezer, Starman. Not voting this week: Dragon Steamboat, sportsguydave

10. I Should Coco

Re: 2010 SportsJournalists.com college football poll -- WEEK ONE POLL, PAGE 2

Just a style note ... there aren't any tabs available when I list the poll results, point totals and last week's standings. (Or if there are, I'm too stupid to figure them out). So my apologies for the slanting columns of numbers.

I know at my shop, it drives me bonkers when reporters submit a chart as a sidebar to their story, then hit the space bar hundreds of time to space everything out. And here I am doing it! ::)

Anyway, enough number crunching for one week ... glad to see just about everyone got their ballot in despite the holiday weekend/weird college FB schedule. Thanks again.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

19 first-place votes for Alabama, right?

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

North Carolina should have at least two points, but I don't see them listed. Unless you meant No. 25 South Carolina to be North.

Draft saved Draft deleted