1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 sj.com college football poll -- FINAL POLL now POSTED!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by I Should Coco, Aug 23, 2010.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

College football 2010: Time to tee it up (again)

By I SHOULD COCO
    Human calculator

Before barking orders to sweat-drenched giants in the grueling heat of August, college football coaches have been known to swing a golf club or two at a spring or early summer golf tournament.

And it’s quite likely that the coaches — amid swarms of triple-figure-paying alumni, fans and other hangers on — might take a mulligan or two at the Podunk Country Club during the event.

Well, the 2010 college football season will amount to a mulligan for many coaches, teams and even players as they hope to put a forgettable 2009 campaign behind them.

Among those reloading on the tee:

Oklahoma — The Sooners lost their future No. 1 draft pick QB in their 2009 opener, then lost the game to BYU and went on to lose four more times last fall. But this year, Oklahoma reloads with big-play guys like Landry Jones and DeMarco Murray. Who knows, by January Sooner fans could be moaning once again about Bob Stoops’ inability to win a BCS game.

USC — Pete Carroll, Reggie Bush and his free car are long gone. NCAA sanctions will keep the Trojans from a bowl game. And four league losses knocked them from the Pac-10 throne last year. But never fear, women and men of Troy ... big-talking Lane Kiffin and big-armed Matt Barkley are here with a chip on their shoulder in 2010.

Michigan
    — Oh, who wouldn’t want to play a round of golf with Rich Rodriguez? He’d tout his innovative golf game, recruit a ringer from his previous country club as his men’s league partner, then whine about course rules as he shoots well over par. Wolverine fans are ready to boot him, his losing ways and (alleged) NCAA violations from Ann Arbor ... unless he finds a way to win. It’s amazing how quickly gloating alumni can forget about things.

Jeremiah Masoli — Sometimes a change of scenery can make all the difference to a golfer — or a quarterback/burglar booted from campus. Goodbye Oregon, hello grad school in Oxford. Both Masoli and fellow QB Nathan Stanley performed well in the Ole Miss weekend scrimmage, so who knows? Maybe Chip Kelly will miss guys like Masoli and LeGarrette Blount. And speaking of Blount ...

Byron Hout — The pride of Boise State’s defense hopes a move from defensive line to middle linebacker will give people a reason to remember him as more than a loud-mouthed punching bag. If nothing else, should the Broncos score another impressive Week 1 win, this year against Virginia Tech, Hout might remember to leave his helmet on as he exclaims, “How bout that ass-whooping?”

OK, enough trash talk in the clubhouse bar. Almost time to tee it up. Here’s how the SportsJournalists.com 2010 college football poll voters think things will play out:

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    8/23/10
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last
    1. Alabama (22) 716 1
    2. Ohio St. (3) 672 5
    3. Boise St. (3) 640 2
    4. Texas (1) 618 4
    5. Florida 586 3
    6. Texas Christian 565 6
    7. Iowa 519 7
    8. Virginia Tech 497 10
    9. Nebraska 479 15
    10. Oklahoma 477 —
    11. Oregon 432 11
    12. Wisconsin 382 17
    13. Miami 356 19
    14. Pittsburgh 336 14
    15. Penn St. 303 9
    16. Georgia Tech 299 13
    17. Louisiana St. 190 18
    18. North Carolina 186 —
    19. Arkansas 168 —
    20. Southern Cal 167 22
    21. Florida St. 137 —
    22. Oregon St. 129 —
    23. Cincinnati 96 8
    24. Utah 81 16
    25. West Virginia 78 —
    (tie) Georgia 78 —
    Also receiving votes: Auburn 46, Stanford 25, BYU 24, Houston 21, UConn 21, Notre Dame 19, Washington 17, Navy 16, Central Michigan 12, Oklahoma St. 9, Arizona 7, Texas Tech 5, Mississippi 5, Clemson 4, Temple 3, South Carolina 3, Middle Tennessee St. 3, Fresno St. 2, Nevada 1, Missouri 1, Minnesota 1.

The SportsJournalists.com college football poll committee: I Should Coco (tabulator), KY Sportswriter, Della9250, McNuggets Man, Crusoes, Joe Schmoe, Evil ... Thy Name is Orville Redenbacher, Dragon Steamboat, Mystery Meat II, Huggy, Ben Hecht, WS, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Oz, Layman, Wendell Gee, Hank Scorpio, TrooperBari, Precious Roy, Boom 70, beanpole, Madhavok, sportsguydave, slappy4428, dparker85, Songbird, Suicide Squeezer, Starman.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Re: 2010 SportsJournalists.com college football poll

Way to tee it off, Coco!

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Minnesota? When did Zeke come back?

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Nice job, Coco. Any way we can start the season...NOW!?!?!

5. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Nice work. I'm not feeling the love for Boise State as much as I feel like I normally would for a little guy, though. We'll see how it goes, but I think the Va Tech game has the potential to be a disaster for the Broncos.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Besides a little love for the Gophers, I enjoyed seeing three WAC teams receive votes. Of course, the three teams picked (Boise St., Fresno St., Nevada) are all leaving the conference after this season, so we'll have to enjoy the dynasty while we can

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Great work Coco. Hard to picture Byron Hout in any other way but going down liked a ton of bricks.

8. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

A little low for the 'Canes I think. But very solid poll.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

This is the Year of The Mighty Gopher!

Lane Kiffin may have played his high school ball in Minnesota, but come September 18 at TCF Bank Stadium he will be shown no mercy!

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Love seeing these polls come out. I've been ready for football for months, which -- no coincidentally -- is how long the Royals and Pirates have been out of contention.

Nice start, I Should Coco.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

When da U starts off 1-4 and Randy Shannon is getting run out of town, this ranking will look way too high.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He will, however, be shown that the scoreboard on the visitors side can indeed reach triple digits...

Draft saved Draft deleted