1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 SI Swimsuit Issue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She's definitely hot. Very hot.

20+ years ago, those Kathy Ireland, Stephanie Seymour, Elle MacPherson (sp?) issues were like gold. Granted, I'm not 16 anymore, but I doubt teenagers today are 1/1,000,000 as excited about picking this up in their mailboxes as we were as kids.

Most can just pull out their iPhones and find something better in a matter of seconds.

Considering what it costs to put out a swimsuit issue, I'm surprised it still exists.

2. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

Decker now holds the lead in the Roddick household for SI covers

For the record, she's got nothin' on Elle McPherson

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

She looks kinda like her, though.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Best Swimsuit Issue memory.

Wow, it must be 31 years ago now, jeez, I got my issue and brought it onto the team bus as we left for a wrestling match (rough, I was a 98lb sophomore). As I walk on our coach, Mr. Charlie Jones (wannabe Marine), grabs it out of my hand and says "whatcha got there?" I go back to my seat and get it back 30 mins. later. The rest of the year I was "Mr. Swimsuit."

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Nothing these days can replicate getting Cheryl Tiegs on the cover in fishnet in the 70's.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wasn't a cover. Wasn't even a full-page photo inside.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry nostalgia taking over in my old age. Kathy Ireland then. Same effect.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My favorite cover will always be the Sylvander twins (Yvonne and Yvette) in the rainbow suits.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/best.swimsuits.1970/images/1976Cover.jpg

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are so wholesome, T!

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Well, it exists because it still generates a huge amount of advertisting revenue. SI said last year that 11 percent of the money they bring in for the year from advertising comes from the swimsuit issue. So while I agree that the Internet has diminished its cultural relevance completely, it's still a major, major part of what pays the bills. It's the most profitable thing they do every year, times five.

http://www.businessinsider.com/2009/2/11-of-sports-illustrateds-yearly-ad-revenue-comes-from-swimsuit-issue-twx

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

:D :D

Draft saved Draft deleted