1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Rock & Roll HOF Nominees -- Potentially Righting Some Wrongs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Point, Pete.
    Were you on the debate team?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Re: KISS, shouldn't you have to be good at what you do to be considered for a hall of fame? If you can't play your instruments above a Triple-A level, you don't belong in Cleveland.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Music isn't like sports. It's much more subjective, and there's (unfortunately) more room to be subjective. We all know that some sports Hall of Fame voters try to keep guys out because "He was a big meanypants to the PRESS!!!!" but that's complete bullcrap. Numbers are numbers, period.

On the RRHOF (and music in general), people lose logic. They lose objectivity. I don't understand why we can't say "Well, I'm no fan of that crap, but a lot of people are, and they've been around, so why the heck not?" Of course, I do say that about a lot of bands.

Again, there are plenty of bands I think suck and whose music I personally have little regard for, but who I also think belong in the Hall. Just saying "Well, I think they SUCK!!!!!!!" shouldn't be enough. For a fan, yes, I suppose. For people who are supposed to run a respectable organization, hell no.

As for the critics' opinions: Can't remember the last time I listened to a music critic.

I agree with your thoughts on LL Cool J.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Also robbed annually:

[​IMG]

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Is Pantera in? If not, they should be.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But like the Baseball Hall of Fame, induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not based solely on fame or popularity.
    Inductees are not required to be rock and roll performers, nor are they required to be more famous than their contemporaries.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Because the bottom line is, you still have to have standards. Miley Cyrus does not belong in the hall of fame. Neither do the Jonas Brothers, the Backstreet Boys, or the Wiggles. But they've all sold a hell of a lot more records and concert tickets than some very worthy members of the hall.

If the whole point of the hall is to say "you moved a lot of product, so here, have a cookie," it's a giant waste of time. You have to have some kind of artistic standard. It doesn't mean you have to agree with them, but they've got to be there. Hell, my favorite band is Crowded House, and I'm not going to pitch a fit when they don't get in.

For all the whining about the hall, the full list of inductees is really pretty solid. They've done a much better job than the Grammy people ever have.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

End of discussion.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Grammies have been trapped in a downward spiral since 1985, when the Be Sharps won for 'Baby on Board.'

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That's enough to give you split ends.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

In the category of "Best Barbershop, Spoken Word or Gospel Performance," if I recall correctly.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Def Leppard continues to be denied! Fuck you, Hall of Fame!

Draft saved Draft deleted