1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Rock & Roll HOF Nominees -- Potentially Righting Some Wrongs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Stooges are nominated this year (think they were last year as well). Should already be in, along with the MC5.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I had no problems coming up with the five I'd pick: Kiss, Genesis, Abba, Jimmy Cliff, Laura Nyro (virtually invented the singer-songwriter genre).

LLCJ will eventually get in. The Blondie argument gives Summer a rationale, but Blondie should never have made it. The Peppers may get in eventually. Darlene Love was the creation of Phil Spector. The Hollies? Maybe in a weaker year. The Stooges and the Chantels? Not even with a ticket.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Alice Cooper should have been in ages ago.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

- If KISS gets in, Alice should too. There wouldn't have been a KISS -- and all the dumbass merchandise -- without Alice Cooper.

- ABBA's a shoo-in for induction.

- As much as I love the Hollies, the Jam and Television, I'm not sure if they deserve a spot. The former wasn't all the innovative, while the latter two had a fairly short shelf life. I think you also have to factor in the Jam's lack of success stateside.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Both he and KISS gave (and, in Alice Cooper's case, still give) great live performances, with both musical and non-musical tricks that have been copied by legions of lesser bands.

Of course, Rush has been great both live and on record for 30-plus years, but with Jann Werner a longtime hater, they'll never be in the HOF. Hope that doesn't make you boycott the place, Bubbler. ::)

Of the other nominees, I'd like to see Genesis and ABBA get in. Both were huge both here and around the world, albeit on different ends of the pop spectrum.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Traffic was terrific.
    'Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys' is one of the top two-chord vamps in rock history.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"John Barleycorn Must Die" is heinous.

8. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The many longtime convos on this board not withstanding, no Rush=Epic FAIL. Still.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This Hall was already a joke, but KISS in the mix ensures its suckitude until the end of time.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

YGBFKM,

YGBFKM.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you there.

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"We have a small list that we'd like to put some nods out and maybe plant a little seed . . . Deep Purple, Thin Lizzy, Rush, KISS, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motorhead, who we would love to invite through that door now."

- Metallica frontman James Hetfield, 2009 RRHOF Induction ceremony

Now, this discussion happens every year, with the nadir occurring when dudes tried to say that "If I can't have sex to it, it ain't rock and roll!!!!!" I think Rush should be in, and I would add Genesis and Jethro Tull to Hetfield's list, probably in place of Nugent (his politics would keep him out even if he merited selection) and Thin Lizzy.

But seriously: they've long since moved into popular disco, dance, and hip-hop music. Reggae will get its due as well. That's fine; honor all styles while also ensuring that a big crowd will show up. But the fact is that heavy metal music has endured for 40 years now, and just putting in Black Sabbath and Metallica (and I guess, AC/DC) simply isn't enough. Waiting five years to put in Black Sabbath showed just how much respect they have for the genre.

They have no set criteria. Oh, they have written rules, but in the end it's all about what their cabal of a-holes (Jann Wenner, Jon Landau, etc.) likes. It's about who gave them great interviews back in the day, it's about some idiotic criteria about whether of not "these guys ROCKED!!!!!!!"

Bands that have spent decades putting out the same throwaway albums, like ZZ Top and AC/DC, are in. The freaking Pretenders are in. Based on these facts, there is no justification for leaving out some of these bands mentioned.

Especially ones that still tour behind brand-new records, selling out sheds from coast to coast.

As for this year: If KISS wasn't on the list, I'd say the Chili Peppers are a lock. But they might save them for a year when they lack that "draw!!!!"

Genesis should be in. But if and when they get in, the committee will say "See?! We honored Prog rock!!!" and then Rush, Yes and Tull will be finished. And once they get to the "ALTERNATIVE!!!!!!!" group, the metal guys are finished too.

Draft saved Draft deleted