1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Rock & Roll HOF Nominees -- Potentially Righting Some Wrongs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

KISS and Genesis get long overdue nominations. It's about damn time. No, it's way past time.

I believe I heard a shout from Carolina all the way here to Atlanta.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_en_mu/us_music_rock_hall

Now the question is can both get in? My guess is the Peppers and LL Cool J are in, leaving 3 spots.

2. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

But were any of them feared?

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

KISS is in now for sure, I think. Genesis was much bigger in the rest of the world than they were in the US (same goes for many other British groups like Supertramp) but I think they sneak in. I don't know enough about LL Cool J to say he belongs or not. I think the Hollies (terrific singles band - if Dave Clark is in they should be too) and ABBA sneak in under the wire.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Surprised Donna Summer didn't get in on the first ballot. Along with the Bee Gees, she was the biggest name in a particular genre of music.

I figure it's KISS, Genesis, LL Cool J, ABBA and between The Hollies and Donna Summer for the final spot.

Chili Peppers have to wait til next year.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Donna Summer is an interesting case. Megapopular for some time in the late 70s. pretty much off the map since then. I'd put the Chilis in.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

No Zevon. What, did he bet on concerts or something?

You can't hold his association with bad characters againsty him (Albom).

o-<

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Donna Summer was nowhere on the par with the BeeGees, not during the disco era, and certainly not from a career perspective. In my view, she's closer to a one hit wonder than Hall of Fame inductee.

Rolling Stone has always had a hard on for the Chili Peppers. I think that will play out in their favor.

I'll go with KISS, Genesis, LL Cool J, Peppers and ABBA.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Damn. I was there this summer, and I did not notice Zevon's omission.

Does KISS get into the Hall of Rap?

Either kick the rap groups out or rename the place.

9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Artists/bands I'd take ahead of anybody on this year's list and last year's.

Zevon, Little Feat, Love, The Jam, Television, Kris Kristofferson, Nilsson.

Marley is in ... but not the Wailers.* One reggae performer. Cliff might get in but I'd have Burning Spear or Black Uruhu or Toots ahead of him.

Fela Kuti and King Sunny Ade for world music. Os Mutantes too.

*You can make a case that the Wailers should be in way ahead of the Attractions.

o-<

10. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

From Wikipedia:

She was much, much more than a one-hit wonder. Not my favorite artist, but she was absolutely huge during the 70s.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thanks for looking that up, Phil. Also, Summer proved she was more than just a disco diva when she had a HUGE hit with "She Works Hard for the Money" in 1983.

As for rap/hip-hop artists in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, that genie is long since out of the bottle. The Hall isn't truly about just rock n' roll, but includes all American popular music since Bill Haley/Chuck Berry.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Definitely agree on Jam, Little Feat and Zevon. I'll throw in another Mr. Friend O' fave, Roxy Music, as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted