1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NHL off-season and draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, excellent point. Team is at least a couple of years away from contending for anything, so it's all about long-term player development.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Montreal has traded Halak to St. Louis for a couple of prospects.

3. dieditor

dieditor Member

Great pickup for the Blues if they didn't give up too much. Eller has the makings of a star.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well said.

The Oilers should be building for 3 to 4 years from now, those entry level contracts would sure look nice then. They should have done that with Gagner, wouldn't have to tie up cap space this year. Same thing with Schenn in TO, by the time they are ready to contend, these contracts become a hinderance in signing someone who can help. By bringing them early you lose at least a 2 million dollar player that can help you and if they are really good upwards of 4 to 5. Look at the Ducks when they won the cup, Getzlaff and Perry making 850, if the Ducks brought them up early they wouldn't have been able to sign Niedermeyer and trade for Pronger.

Good thing they gave up a first, second and third and 4.5 mill in cap space to Penner, imagine where they would have finished without him.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Cap motivated deal, also gives Habs option not to resign Plekanec.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Makes no sense here. What does Montreal plan to do in goal? I'm guessing they either thought Halak was a flash in the pan (agreed) or weren't going to be able to afford him long term.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Carey Price

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You've got to be joking! Exile a guy to the bench for the better part of a year and a half, let him get booed unmercifully in his own building and expect him to suddenly step in and carry the load for you.

For the record, I think Price can still be a decent goalie. But someplace else (Edmonton?), not Montreal.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Price does need a new start, not sure if Edmonton would be the place for him. They are already having to decide between two young goalies that I think can be legitimate starters in this league this offseason thanks to a terrible khabibulin signing that made little sense from the beginning. Throwing Price in there would complicate the picture further. Besides it is pretty clear that the Habs aren't going to be moving him. What they likely will do however is find him a get that can tutor him and mature him but will pose no real controversy as far as who the No. 1 is -- Chris Mason by chance?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Beef,

What's the latest on Khabibulin? Still on the roster? Do they expect him to play again? I agree they had horrible luck there, but from what I've seen of Dubynk and Druin-Deslaurier, I don't know that either is ready to be a No. 1 netminder anytime soon. I think that's one of the major issues the Oilers have to sort out: do you cut ties with Khabibulin or expect to get something out of him. No way can you tie up that much cap space on someone you can't depend on. If they aren't counting on him, I really think they've got to go after someone this offseason.

11. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

derwoc, why wouldn't they re-sign Plekanec? He was there best player last season. It would be stupid if they let him walk.

I've always been a Price believer, and I still believe in Carey. I know he hasn't played well since his rookie season but he's shown sign of being a great goalie. He has great work ethic, but he just needs to concentrate a 100% on hockey and not the club scene in Montreal.

He's still very young and he's willing to improve(one of the hardest working guys in practice) He just needs to put it all together. Hopefully with this trade of Halak he'll be motivated since he knows the Montreal have faith on him, especially with the performance Halak had in the playoffs.

Eller as a lot of potential, he was a high draft pick from Denmark and he has a chance to be a star in this league

Schultz is a big boy, seen him play in the Memorial cup and he's not afraid to get down and dirty.

But none the less this trade was a huge shocker when I found out about it. I didn't think it would happen till Draft day at the lastest.

None the less, thanks for the memories Halak. I wish you all the best in St Louis.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Carey Price may be the next Patrick Roy--or the next Jim Carey.

From what I hear he needs to dial down the partying

Draft saved Draft deleted