1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 NHL off-season and draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Was impressed with Hall each time I saw him. Don't the Oilers have the rights to a Swedish forward (name escapes me at the moment) who was real impressive in the World Juniors?

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I always thought Blake was over-rated in his own end of the ice. Isn't he the only guy to win a Norris with a - in that season?

He's more of a name than he is a talent to me. He'll probably get in the HOF, but I don't think he's special enough to be a first-ballot guy. Of course, I'm less enamored with guys who play defense but can't actually, you know, defend well.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have seen Hall and Seguin play live a number of times and many hockey people I talk to (not involved with either Boston or Edmonton) like Seguin since he's a right-shot centre.

I'll take Hall.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, he was -3 in 1997-98. A vast improvement over the -28 he put up the year before, lol. But he was the second guy to win the Norris with a minus. The first was Randy Carlyle, who was -16 in 1980-81. But he scored 83 points, dammit - isn't that what defence is all about?!?! ::) :D

Considering they have a trophy for the best defensive forward, wouldn't it be something if they actually had a trophy for the best defensive defenceman? lol

5. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Yes they do and his name is Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson, he's going to be a stud. They also have Jordan Eberle who is another huge prospect. So in a few years they'll have a sick team.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Just make sure they all stay single ... and away from newscasters if they don't.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

MPS was their first rounder from last year, 10th overall. I know there were some scouting services that had in the top 5 last year (The NHL scouting board had him ranked second among European skaters, behind just Victor Hedman) and the Oilers were dancing when he unexpectedly fell all the way to them. I am real excited about him, he is signed and will be in North America next year, and if he doesn't start the year with the big club will be there at some point. Same with Youtube sensation Linus Omark, although he may spend the entire season down in Oklahoma. Also big things are expected out of Anton Lander, who was MPS's linemate with the world juniors and I think they played in the Swedish Elite League together at some point, is expected to sign in the near future as well.

I am cautiously optimistic about Eberle, his skating isn't terrific and he is of course small, but all he does is score, especially in the clutch situations. All I can think is that many of the same things were said about Luc Robitaille and he turned out to be a pretty good player. That's what I hope for, but then he could flop like many an Oilers prospect has.

Not to mention they will have Hemsky coming back next year andfingers are crossed that both Penner and Gagner continue to improve.

The Oilers biggest concern heading forward is their blue-line where they are thin throughout the entire organization. They have a ton of skilled young forwards coming up, but right now Alex Plante and Jeff Petry are their two best defensive prospect and best case scenario they form the Oilers No. 2 pairing in the future. There is not a lot after that at all on defence. Theo Peckham is a nice No. 6 defenceman and he's already with the team and same with Taylor Chorney who actually projects to a No. 2 pairing blueliner as well although I think he eventually could be stretched out onto the top unit. Regardless work needs to be done to shore up the back end, the only sure thing they have back there is Ryan Whitney who played real well after coming over in the Visnovsky trade with Anaheim, and Staios isn't long for the league either.

I say the Oilers are probably two or three years away from the playoffs and then well see where they go from there, that's as long as they don't get cute and stick to the rebuilding plan.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Have got to completely disagree with you on Blake, the man was very, very good in his own end. First ballot? It depends who he is up against, but a definite hall of famer

10. derwood

derwood Active Member

Nathan Horton's agent told Florida papers that a trade would not surprise him. It looks likely that Horton and Spezza are dealt at the draft and Chicago has to dump a few contracts.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One big issue they face is the strong possiblity of having all three of their top prospects (Hall/Seguin, MPS ad Eberle) in the lineup to start the season. Not too often has had having that many offensive minded rookie forwards in the lineup worked out too well -- the last time the Oilers tried that they did it with Gagner and Cogliano and that did turn out so well. And while I'm not saying they should be handed jobs, they are a waste on the fourth line. Although it may be a tough bullet to bite, it may be best if one or two of them put in some more time down on the farm where the will see premium minutes on the top two lines and PP.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

Not only that, but you have to think cap now. Do you really want all their entry level deals expiring in the same year?

The big question is how much do want to win now vs. putting together a really good nucleus for two, three, four years down the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted